onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England v Denmark

Advert

The starting line-up apart from Stevie G and Sterling looked disinterested.

Impressed with Shaw, Lallana and Sterling (for the first time).

Still think England will do well to get out of their group, but a bit of passion wouldn't hurt.

It was a decent game, Denmark came to defend with two banks of four, sat back and made it tough for England. We'll face exactly the same in Brazil, certainly from Italy and Uraguay.

Some positives for England, kept possession well, played a passing game, were fluid in changing positions in midfield/strikers and did't resort to the hoof upfield. Gerard was outstanding, close control of Sturridge and ability to beat a man in the box was superb, Sterling, Llalana and Shaw all looked very comfortable and capable at international level. One downside was that Glenn Johnson again looked eratic.

Denmark are a very average side and we shouldn't be struggling to beat them at Wembley. For me, and for all of his experience, Roy Hodgson is not the right man for the job. I think we need a younger manager with more modern ideas and a more attacking mentality. We have the players to really get at teams, and with the likes of Ferdinand and Terry no longer around I think against the better sides we'll have to have the 'we'll score more than you' mentality to win games, as our defence is nowhere near good enough. The only positives last night were the individual performances of Shaw, Sterling and Llalana. It was also good to see Sturridge on the score sheet, he has the potential to be England's number 1 forward for years to come.

Based on that performance, and the current form of our players, if the World Cup was starting tomorrow I'd like to see something like this;

Hart

Johnson

Cahill

Jagielka

Shaw

Sterling

Henderson

Gerrard

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Llalana

Sturridge

There's lot of energy and pace in midfield, an area in which we've seemed to struggle for years, and the likes of Oxlade, Sterling and Llalana are interchangeable, which can keep opposing teams guessing. It's hard to leave Leighton Baines out as he's a good player, and Ashley Cole is still more than capable despite him not being in the Chelsea side every week, but Shaw has impressed me a lot this season and did very well last night. Rooney was terrible and for all of his ability I think that at times he's an hinderance to the side, and certainly not the player we all hoped he would turn out to be a number of years ago.

Oh, and Jack Wilshere doesn't seem to do anything other than fall over, complain and give the ball away time and again. I really hope he can get some form and fitness back, as he was one player I really believe would be world-class for many years to come.

Well I'm inspired! Think this could be the dullest WC England have been involved with in my lifetime from a personal perspective.

People like Gerrard, Wilshire et al talk a great game but I far more respect people like Lallana that actually get on and do it.

Come on Roy give the younger players an opportunity, those who seemingly care and I'm not talking about Henderson or Smalling.

Denmark are a very average side and we shouldn't be struggling to beat them at Wembley. For me, and for all of his experience, Roy Hodgson is not the right man for the job. I think we need a younger manager with more modern ideas and a more attacking mentality. We have the players to really get at teams, and with the likes of Ferdinand and Terry no longer around I think against the better sides we'll have to have the 'we'll score more than you' mentality to win games, as our defence is nowhere near good enough. The only positives last night were the individual performances of Shaw, Sterling and Llalana. It was also good to see Sturridge on the score sheet, he has the potential to be England's number 1 forward for years to come.

Based on that performance, and the current form of our players, if the World Cup was starting tomorrow I'd like to see something like this;

Hart

Johnson

Cahill

Jagielka

Shaw

Sterling

Henderson

Gerrard

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Llalana

Sturridge

There's lot of energy and pace in midfield, an area in which we've seemed to struggle for years, and the likes of Oxlade, Sterling and Llalana are interchangeable, which can keep opposing teams guessing. It's hard to leave Leighton Baines out as he's a good player, and Ashley Cole is still more than capable despite him not being in the Chelsea side every week, but Shaw has impressed me a lot this season and did very well last night. Rooney was terrible and for all of his ability I think that at times he's an hinderance to the side, and certainly not the player we all hoped he would turn out to be a number of years ago.

Oh, and Jack Wilshere doesn't seem to do anything other than fall over, complain and give the ball away time and again. I really hope he can get some form and fitness back, as he was one player I really believe would be world-class for many years to come.

Agree with you about Wilshere, Beechy. Don't agree with you about Hodgson. Hodgson is getting the best out of what he has, which is the footballing equivalent of a Ryvita and a Nokia 3210.

Well I'm inspired! Think this could be the dullest WC England have been involved with in my lifetime from a personal perspective.

People like Gerrard, Wilshire et al talk a great game but I far more respect people like Lallana that actually get on and do it.

Come on Roy give the younger players an opportunity, those who seemingly care and I'm not talking about Henderson or Smalling.

Have you not seen anything of Henderson this season? He's been outstanding for Liverpool. Far better than Jack Wilshere, who keeps making the side on hype alone.

Agree with you about Wilshere, Beechy. Don't agree with you about Hodgson. Hodgson is getting the best out of what he has, which is the footballing equivalent of a Ryvita and a Nokia 3210.

I just don't like the way he wants his teams to play. He want us to be organized, I have no problem with that. But I think we have better offensive players (on paper at least) then we do defensive one's, and I'd much rather go out of a tournament having a real go than to go out with a wimper. We're not good enough defensively to keep the better teams out so I really do not see the point in playing in a defensive manner.

Someone like Brendan Rodgers would have been perfect, but luckily for anyone with an interest in Liverpool he's at the beggining of what could be something very exciting at Liverpool football club.

I just don't like the way he wants his teams to play. He want us to be organized, I have no problem with that. But I think we have better offensive players (on paper at least) then we do defensive one's, and I'd much rather go out of a tournament having a real go than to go out with a wimper. We're not good enough defensively to keep the better teams out so I really do not see the point in playing in a defensive manner.

Someone like Brendan Rodgers would have been perfect, but luckily for anyone with an interest in Liverpool he's at the beggining of what could be something very exciting at Liverpool football club.

Yet we kept out Italy in the Euros for 120 minutes without too many alarms. Our strikers, minus Rooney and Sturridge (both of whom are, in my view, made to look much better than they are by playing with world class strike partners) are very average. We aren't that good going forward, though Cahill and Jagielka seem to be building a decent central defensive understanding.

Archived