Sign in to follow this  
Jacko51

Chris Harper

RIP Mr Chris Harper a true gentleman. Had many chats with Chris over the years around Vale Park and on Vales coaches to away games. Top man.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that for a number of years Chris edited the Vale programme. He did this in his spare time and probably for little remuneration knowing the Vale! It was Chris who first asked me to contribute around about 1994 - in those days I had to produce the copy on paper and drop it in at the Sentinel Office in Etruria. Later on he got me to put my stuff on a floppy disc so he didn't have to retype it after correcting all my mistakes. A world of difference from the current days of email, jpeg photos and the like.

What a shame.

Like lots of others on here Chris Harper was the voice of the Vale and I always found his reports informative and honest. I used to have some of his radio reports on an old reel to reel tape recorder that I often listened to when thinking about the old days.

Fantastic Port Vale commentator and reporter. I'm very sad to hear about this, very sad indeed.

Gone but not forgotten by me.

Very sad news he was without a shadow of a doubt the most popular Vale reporter. I got to know him when being part of the Vale Sponsored Walk to Shrewsbury and it is very evident that he was a true gentleman. Rest In Peace fellow Valiant.

R.I.P Chris. I first met Chris during the 1969-70 season. He was a top bloke, always had time for a chat. He moved to the area after meeting his wife to be, Elaine in Spain.He was covering London clubs at the time the Vale job came up at The Sentinel. As Elaine was a Tunstall girl he applied and thankfully for Elaine(and Vale fans)he got it. Some fond memories of him, such as the night he boarded the supporters coach at Crystal Palace to tell us Brian Horton had just joined Chris's home town club, Brighton. I also remember one report where he wrote " Vale grabbed defeat from the jaws of vicrory" Classic Harper. As Pops mentioned, the part Chris played in the caberet at Baileys was fantastic.A top bloke and a true gent.

R.I.P my friend and love and condolences to the family

Like many others, for me Chris was Mr Port Vale when it came to reporting on the club. Before the days of the internet, when I was away at Uni, my old dad used to send me the green 'un and first thing on Monday or whenever it arrived, Chris's reports were always the first, and best, that I looked at. Miles away from home, it gave me a real flavour of the club, the matches and the players. I could never understand why he moved from reporting on the Vale but it was a golden age.

RIP Chris - respected, much loved, unrivalled and irreplaceable. Sincere condolences to your family.

Just read about Chris on the Sentinel website and felt sure there would be many appreciative comments on here, as there are.

Chris was the Vale reporter when I started following the club in 1969 and even as a young teenager I could see quality of his informed, knowledgeable writing and enjoy his reports whenever I was able to pick up the Sentinel or Green 'Un in distant Macclesfield. So when I started work as a cub reporter at the Sentinel four years later, I was in awe of this much-respected journalist. I needn't have been. As others have said, Chris was very approachable and kind and when he heard I was a Vale fan would always have a chat about the club's fortunes and mention the odd behind-the-scenes stuff, too. After a few months I moved to the Crewe branch office and in my fairly early days he once suggested I should cover a Vale game while he was on holiday. The sports editor then, Peter Buxton, must have, rightly, thought I was too inexperienced at that stage, but I was grateful for Chris's suggestion and I did later go on to be the Crewe Alex reporter for a couple of years.

Not that Chris forget me while I was in exile in South Cheshire -- he made sure I was included in the Sentinel squad for a five-a-side challenge match against Radio Stoke during a Festival of Sport in the mid-1970s at the Cobridge Stadium, where Vale once played, I believe. Oh, and we won.

The Sentinel. Port Vale, the people of the Potteries and many sports clubs beyond football benefited greatly from the writing of Chris Harper, a true professional, a journalist with integrity and a gentleman. Very sorry to hear he has died at what is no great age these days.

RIP Chris Harper

Brought up on his reports when I was young.

Remember standing next to him in a pub after we had beaten Notts County in the League Cup and watching the draw on TV.

His excitement when we drew Liverpool proved what he thought of the Vale.