onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Chris Harper

Jacko51

RIP Chris, who was a part of our football family in times before the Internet.He gave us all down to earth,honest, reporting on the Vale from 1968 .A really nice guy too who went on to support many charity functions.Our thoughts are with his family and many friends today.Thanks for the memories Chris.

Advert

As Santa and SV have stated, he was Port Vale news to me as a kid. Before the internet and sports channels, what I didn't know from match days was told to me by Chris Harper and I remember the photo on the main page from programmes of yesteryear. RIP Chris and thanks for the memories

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that for a number of years Chris edited the Vale programme. He did this in his spare time and probably for little remuneration knowing the Vale! It was Chris who first asked me to contribute around about 1994 - in those days I had to produce the copy on paper and drop it in at the Sentinel Office in Etruria. Later on he got me to put my stuff on a floppy disc so he didn't have to retype it after correcting all my mistakes. A world of difference from the current days of email, jpeg photos and the like.

What a shame.

Like lots of others on here Chris Harper was the voice of the Vale and I always found his reports informative and honest. I used to have some of his radio reports on an old reel to reel tape recorder that I often listened to when thinking about the old days.

Fantastic Port Vale commentator and reporter. I'm very sad to hear about this, very sad indeed.

Gone but not forgotten by me.

R.I.P Chris. I first met Chris during the 1969-70 season. He was a top bloke, always had time for a chat. He moved to the area after meeting his wife to be, Elaine in Spain.He was covering London clubs at the time the Vale job came up at The Sentinel. As Elaine was a Tunstall girl he applied and thankfully for Elaine(and Vale fans)he got it. Some fond memories of him, such as the night he boarded the supporters coach at Crystal Palace to tell us Brian Horton had just joined Chris's home town club, Brighton. I also remember one report where he wrote " Vale grabbed defeat from the jaws of vicrory" Classic Harper. As Pops mentioned, the part Chris played in the caberet at Baileys was fantastic.A top bloke and a true gent.

R.I.P my friend and love and condolences to the family

Archived