onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crewe post match comments.

valiant_593

Pretty much spot on. Crewe were ok, but to be honest we made them look good. Just a very inept display by a team that doesn't look like a team and can't pass the ball. I thought (from the Lorne Street) it probably WAS a penalty and I thought the ref was pretty good actually. At the moment, I just can't see where the next win is coming from. It's obvious that Pope and Hugill don't work as a pair, though Pope was excellent today. I forecast this is the start of a slide that will see us finish just above the relegation zone. Hope I'm wrong but I fear I won't be. We just don't look a team at all, no cohesion and little skill...and we and haven't for many games this season - even several we've won. Worried.

Yes you are wrong.Pessimist.

Advert

Feel sorry for Griff since start of the year. He's basically trying to do the job of two as Lines has been completely anonymous (and seemingly blameless) for weeks.

This just shows what a game of opinions football is .

You obviously think Griffith is a better player than Lines and you're entitled to do that .

You'll perhaps appreciate how good Lines is next season when he's playing for someone else and we're stuck at the bottom of this League watching the likes of Griffith, Taylor & Yates taking us back to that dreadful League 2.

Of course I hope the above doesn't happen and some common sense can prevail between our Chairman & Manager and we can retain our place and possibly push on , but believe me it will happen if we can only persist with the above League 2 calibre of player.

Neal ,Lines ,Loft & Dicko are a minimum for me for next season or its back to Accrington etc.........

This just shows what a game of opinions football is .

You obviously think Griffith is a better player than Lines and you're entitled to do that .

You'll perhaps appreciate how good Lines is next season when he's playing for someone else and we're stuck at the bottom of this League watching the likes of Griffith, Taylor & Yates taking us back to that dreadful League 2.

Of course I hope the above doesn't happen and some common sense can prevail between our Chairman & Manager and we can retain our place and possibly push on , but believe me it will happen if we can only persist with the above League 2 calibre of player.

Neal ,Lines ,Loft & Dicko are a minimum for me for next season or its back to Accrington etc.........

Lines to be worth another contract needs to wake up. I can't bear a player that hides when the going gets tough - or is he content with picking up a wage before moving on in the summer and doesn't really give a ****?

He's not worth his place at the moment and this is the second time this season that he's been like this resulting in him being dropped. He didn't drop to this level again for another league 1 tour. I think his inconsistency is obviously an issue. His natural flair is obvious to see when he's up for a game.

Opinions again , he doesn't hide at all ,players like Lines need an outlet , with the likes of Griffith around him and nobody wide he doesn't have this at the moment . Once Billy Knott ( a footballer) came on yesterday the midfield was much improved .Lines had someone near him that he actually felt confident of giving the ball to . If he's not worth his place , please enlighten me as to who you'd pick in there .

Opinions again , he doesn't hide at all ,players like Lines need an outlet , with the likes of Griffith around him and nobody wide he doesn't have this at the moment . Once Billy Knott ( a footballer) came on yesterday the midfield was much improved .Lines had someone near him that he actually felt confident of giving the ball to . If he's not worth his place , please enlighten me as to who you'd pick in there .

No one in our current squad - if I was the manager right now I'd only be including him because of 'needs must'. Anyone else with Lines' workrate wouldn't be in the squad. We saw a reaction when he was dropped last time.

So what's the solution? Surround Lines with footballers we can't afford on our budget? Or, do we tell him to get his finger out, help the team to dig in and not just expect to be in the side to deliver the odd Hollywood ball and his 1 half decent free kick a season?

To accept that its ok for Lines to stroll through games because the likes of Griffiths are lacking in quality is beyond ridiculous. Its about time Lines adapted and perhaps learned to add to his game....you know like Adams told him to and he responded for a few games. It's a team game. Griffiths cannot help his lack of ability, Lines however can work on his limitations if he chooses to.

Easy to pick fault , not easy to come up with a solution , which most on here seem to be very good at . There is no acceptance of Lines strolling through games as you put it , just watch the games and watch his frustration its clear to see or are you too busy watching someone run around like a headless chicken . Mind you that appears to be acceptable as long as this qualifies for giving 100% .

Nothing to do with footballers we can't afford financially , more to with picking players we can't afford ability wise . We are probably paying peanuts towards Billy Knott but he can't help people with Lines' ability if he's sitting on his backside watching players who can't pass it forward five yards , there's a possible solution ,let's try it eh .

You need to stop listening to Radio Sjoke so much on away days and try seeing it for yourself , you may just offer a different opinion .

Easy to pick fault , not easy to come up with a solution , which most on here seem to be very good at . There is no acceptance of Lines strolling through games as you put it , just watch the games and watch his frustration its clear to see or are you too busy watching someone run around like a headless chicken . Mind you that appears to be acceptable as long as this qualifies for giving 100% .

Nothing to do with footballers we can't afford financially , more to with picking players we can't afford ability wise . We are probably paying peanuts towards Billy Knott but he can't help people with Lines' ability if he's sitting on his backside watching players who can't pass it forward five yards , there's a possible solution ,let's try it eh .

You need to stop listening to Radio Sjoke so much on away days and try seeing it for yourself , you may just offer a different opinion .

The solution is for Lines to start performing without someone making the excuse that it's because others are like headless chickens.

I hope Lines hasn't got this over inflated opinion of himself or else we'll never see any better performances from him other than the **** poor ones of late.

Have a missed these exceptional away performances from Lines then? That must be where he shines.

Some folks just don't appreciate a footballer like Lines who thinks, can pass the ball, is creative, is the fulchrum of the team etc, they just want a midfielder who runs around the field, covers every blade of grass, puts in crunching tackles but when in possession hasn't a clue or the ability to do anything with the ball. Used to have the same arguments at Vale Park over 40-50 years ago about the very same subject.

Some folks just don't appreciate a footballer like Lines who thinks, can pass the ball, is creative, is the fulchrum of the team etc, they just want a midfielder who runs around the field, covers every blade of grass, puts in crunching tackles but when in possession hasn't a clue or the ability to do anything with the ball. Used to have the same arguments at Vale Park over 40-50 years ago about the very same subject.

What's the use of having ability when you don't use it or contribute in games? I'm sure he loves to ping balls around in training but sometimes you have to work hard for the team when a game isn't going your way.

I love how Lines seems to get a free pass from the purists. Yet to see the evidence of this so called greatness with the exception of the Peterborough game - must have fancied that one.

Earlier this season, Crewe manager Steve Davis was asked by Radio Sjoke Crewe reporter Graham McGarry to comment on the fact that someone had said playing football is 80% mental state and only 20% ability. Did he agree? Davis's reply was in his opinion it actually was 90% mental state and only 10% about ability. Today we saw just how right he was.

Our own Mark Grew said this week that the Vale players were under "no pressure" going into this game. The pressure was all on Crewe. Therefore he set the tone to our players by literally saying actually boys if we win we win and if we don't then well it doesn't matter. There were already signs of a few of our players recently shall we say not at the races in games. When I heard that comment, I knew that one side (Crwho) would be up for the game whereas on recent performances, we would just take the game as it comes.

And so the game proved the above right. A Crewe side who "wanted" it mentally and a Vale side who really mentally we're not at the races. The scoreline flatters us. They could and should have won by more. Tootle's attitude summed up the difference. Yes he went down to easy as did other Crewe players but when he got the penalty, he went to the away fans with fist clenched and pumped to show he wanted the victory.

I could talk in general about the game as others have done but today for me was about Vale players with no passion or desire to win a game of football. A game when the vast majority of my team's players could not get up for a derby game and displayed an attitude of "well it doesn't matter if we lose because we are under no pressure". I can accept defeats and poor performances as long as the attitude of all the players is that they want to put in 100% for the club that pays their wages and to appreciate the supporters for being there to get behind them. Well sorry Port Vale but today I didn't see the fact that you cared for me or my club. That I'm afraid is not acceptable.

Spot on.

No passion from the players and from the comments by the staff, no passion there either.

Crewe players showed passion all over the pitch. Tootle having a go at Loft near the end and Loft running off.

Davis having a go time and time again. Then having a go at the Vale fans. Brill to see but from your own team though.

Passion is one thing you need , the other is football skill ?

Sorry to say this but Vale have almost nil football skill. Never have had either.

Crewe follow almost every team we see at the Vale who are capable of passing us off the park.

[ Dont believe Crewe will have it easy to be safe this year, they could still struggle ]

It just amazes me how close to safety we really are.

Robertsons goals have been a bonus but we still need three good wins.

Our senior players are letting us down - Lines Loft Griffith Birchal JMW - Yes midfield. plus Robertson and Yates at the back

You have to feel sorry for Pope but whoever plays along side him is on a loser too

Hugill , Williamson , Tomlin , Dodds - all look poor but its the midfield / wide men [ man we only have one ] that are failing.

Knott looked more of a footballer yesterday than anyone before him. Give him a go or get rid and save money

If Birchall is not fit and capable of playing week in week out then get rid. We only have JMW as a wide man.

One more point to worry about

N.S.and M.A. we hear of all the contract talks etc etc

What about the players.? Suppose they see all this and can see what is going to happen.

Lines Loft JMW do they expect to be offered new / improved deals or do they expect to be on their way ??????????/

I can't be bothered to read all the posts and I'm still angry at yesterday's performance. If I've repeated what has already been written then sorry.

MA got his team selection wrong yet again. I'm not one to criticise the manager but this is happening more and more of late. We were playing on our big pitch against a big side yet we had no width, no height & no pace in our starting 11.

Adams replaced Davis early on then moved 2 players to different positions. Having no defenders on the bench was naive!

Grimmer was carried off meaning Griff switched to Centre Half as we had no defenders sitting on the bench.

Loft gave away the penalty in the Left Back position (playing on the left hand side) which I'm pretty sure wasn't the position he started the game in.

MA brought on Tomlin upfront, JMW on the wing & knott in midfield.

To my reckoning that's a change of SEVEN PLAYERS from their starting positions at 3pm. Given that Neal can't change position during a game that means only Yates, Lines & Pope played the entire 90 minutes in their "natural roles" which means that the game plan & time spent training/preparing for this game was no use to nither man nor beast!

We had an ill prepared team running round like headless chickens for 90 mins not knowing what to do or who to mark!........ We did well to only lose the game by 2 clear goals.

Archived