onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What makes a Vale fan

geosname

I have seen on several threads people question others about their support, it has been asked what the definition of a Vale fan is, with no reasonable response... leaving aside fanatic and associating a fan more with a supporter I ask some simple questions and offer my definition of a Vale fan.

Are you a vale fan because....?

1 You attend all home matches

2 You attend all home and away matches

3 You buy a season ticket

4 You volunteer your time to working at the club

5 You buy products from the club shop

6 You give generously when collections are available

7 You meet "the lads" in the pub before the game or after

8 You live in Burslem

I would suggest its none of the above, Vale fans may do all, some or none of the above.

I think what makes a Vale fan is quite simple.... At some point in their lives they have made a connection with Port Vale that goes beyond just watching a football match, which they can watch anywhere and at any time of the day now, a spiritual connection if you will, certainly an emotional bond. No matter where life takes them, no matter what they do they want to keep that connection because it has become part of their fabric. Its that bond that holds all of us individuals together through the bad and the bladdy awful times.

Feel free to disagree, its just my opinion.

Advert

I agree with geosname in a sense that the connection would always make Port Vale your team.

For me, its incomprehensible not being able to attend games. I moved away recently, but not very far. Takes me half hour down the m6 to get to home games. When i did move, the vale were a factor in my decision. Whenever me and the mrs discuss the future, vale are always involved because I simply have to go. Her family are from london and i think one day we may end up there. I will be getting the train up to burslem every other saturday though.

I have had a season ticket for 22 years and probably go to 5, on average, away.

I would class myself as a massive fan, but i know theres folk who literally attend every game so they must sacrifice even more than me.

So, in short, i am still non the wiser!!

Good thread.

Before I saw what v2001 were like and began to question and, ultimately turn against them I used to go to every home match, the vast majority away, I was secretary of both the current SC, being a founder member and part of the steering group that formed it, and the Volunteers' Group, was on the VaST committee for a while and generally just lived and breathed Vale. I'd never put holidays, days out or work ahead of Vale.

Then the war started, largely instigated by me! And I eventually fell out of love with Vale and football in general.

I had to stop going. In doing so I lost the bug and habit. I missed most of our promotion season and it's only this season I've begun to get it back again.

I now have a season ticket but miss some games in favour of choosing to work if I'm busy. The recession hit my business hard and that's more important than football. I only go to the odd away match now and if I fancy going out mountaineering for the weekend then I'll do that, regardless of whether Vale are playing.

Do I consider myself less a fan than I used to?

No. I consider my life to be much more balanced and I'm happier for it.

I've just come back from a week in the Lake District. Just after Christmas and a couple of weeks after having a new clutch in my bint's car. I'm skint this month now. I could afford to go today and want to but I think I'll probably be sensible and not go. A decision I could never take five years ago. I'll miss not going but it won't kill me. But my desire to want us to win is certainly no less whether I'm there or not.

I've been a vale fan since I was about 11. I always will be. Whether I go or not. I can't explain why. I went as a kid, enjoyed it and grew up in an era of progress seeing us beat good teams and Stoke in front of a full house. I've had some of the best times of my life at matches or weekends away and met a lot of great folk down the years. It's iust been a big part of my fabric and it's stuck with me.

I have been following vale for more than 55 years and it's part of me. I have a season ticket, I travel over to the vast majority of home games, go to many away games and if I miss a match, particularly at the weekend, then I feel that I have missed out on something important in my life.

Like I said being a vale fan is just part of what makes me who I am.

Difficult to break down this one.MY VEIW IS, for what it's worth,A FAN is someone who never spends money at the club ie doesn't attends matches or buys merchandise,A supporter is some one who helps the club buy spending money at the club ie attends matches or buys merchandise,I say this applies over a 12 month period,an example is a good friend of mine, he hasn't been Vale for 30 odd years and he says he is still a Vale fan but he doesn't support the club,that is taken from his own gob

I think its going on a ****** tuesday night, to watch such bad football that you just know you have lost some time in your life you will never get back. Then going the next game in hope...

Yes, being a manic depressive helps.

It's the stage before being into self-harming.

A really interesting post and I find myself agreeing with lots of the sentiments expressed.

My Dad took me to games at the Vale from the early 50's. I was born in the Haywood Hospital so was in sight of the ground. I don't live in the area now but have attended thousands of games watching school and adult teams at home and abroad but it's only at the Vale that I feel I'm at my football home.

When I get to Vale games I sit in the Lorne Street near to where I spent those happy times with my Dad. After he died in 2002 that was extremely painful. However, the Vale are my team and are the first thing I look for in football. I went to the Tranmere away game this year near to my home and sat with the Vale fans and again felt at home. It's football but it's more than football.

Archived