onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Your Five Most Annoying Football Commentators/Pundits...

paulvaliant

I will go with:-

1) Garth Crooks

2) Mark Lawrenson

3) Niall Quinn

4) Andy Townsend

5) Chris Waddle

Most commentators and pundits have become parodies of themselves - Green is a good example, having taken his 'plain speaking' to ridiculous levels. Apart from him, my top five are:

Clive Tyldsley (cannot stand him for numerous reasons)

Alan Brazil

Robbie Savage/Steve Claridge/Ray Houghton (ok, I've chested, but they are all the same...footballers who think you know nothing unless you've played the game professionally)

Chris Kamara (see comments about becoming the parody)

Alan Shearer

Special mention for the massively underrated Mike Ingham...best commentator there is.

Advert

Can't be doing with Robbie Savage, Andy Townsend, Steve Claridge, Chris Kamara, or Clive Tyldesley.

Favourites are/were: Tony Gubba (oh Ray Walker!), Hugh Johns from the old Sunday afternoon highlight show, Brian Moore, Barry Davies, Mike Ingham.

Showing my age I guess, but some of the older ones simply commented on the football and painted a picture for you if you were listening on the radio, without giving yards of cliche and opinionated drivel. And if anyone wants to know who let down the tyres on Andy Townsend's execrable tactics truck - it was me.

I switched on Radio Five Live last night so I could hear a bit of the commentary while doing the dishes (the OVF butler had a day off).

Has anyone else noticed how much... poor pass there... that Steve Claridge... he has to use the winger more... interrupts all the time. For the listener it's an appalling experience there's no pattern to this play... as you're trying to hear what the commentator says only for Claridge to basically talk over him.

So, you miss the end of the commentator's point and the start of Claridge's. Surely, the basic principle of co-commentary is to let the other guy have his say, wait, and then reply.

And it just sounds rude! As if Claridge's opinion matters more than that commentator. It doesn't! I had to switch the radio off as it was annoying me so much.

I can testify to what a good bloke Jamie Carragher is. He went to my school and is terrific within his home community. Highly respected, modest and doesn't think too much of himself.

I think Carragher and Neville have brought a new perspective to game analysis.

I think on the whole commentary has gone backwards after greats such as Coleman and Wolstenholme.

I think Savidge, Claridge are much of the same. Footballers who think only they know about the game.

One person I would really like as a pundit when he finishes Managing would be Rafa Benitez. Highly respected as a great bloke with the fans. Would upset Chelsea so a definite plus and very knowledgable and known for saying what he thinks.

I switched on Radio Five Live last night so I could hear a bit of the commentary while doing the dishes (the OVF butler had a day off).

Has anyone else noticed how much... poor pass there... that Steve Claridge... he has to use the winger more... interrupts all the time. For the listener it's an appalling experience there's no pattern to this play... as you're trying to hear what the commentator says only for Claridge to basically talk over him.

So, you miss the end of the commentator's point and the start of Claridge's. Surely, the basic principle of co-commentary is to let the other guy have his say, wait, and then reply.

And it just sounds rude! As if Claridge's opinion matters more than that commentator. It doesn't! I had to switch the radio off as it was annoying me so much.

So true!

I remember when he and Rob McCaffrey (not sure of his surname) used to co-present, they fought all the time to get words in edge ways!

Of course the 2 United fans tonight, Alan Green and Robbie Savage. They were ecstatic after United's late, late equalizer against Sunderland.

Green is awful, Savage is worse. Bryon Butler RIP, what would he think?

Yeah, I noticed that. There were practically celebrating in the commentary box.

Garth Crooks - Has this man EVER made sense?

Clarke Carlisle - Trying to slip in as many large 'complex' sounding words as possible to make a simple point ans try and appear intelligent. He's been on Countdown you know.

Terry Conroy - Waffling on for 20 minutes about something that could take 30 seconds to explain. I reckon 70% of P+G on a Saturday is listening to his nonsense about STOKE-CELONA's "attractive passing football".

Garth Crooks - Has this man EVER made sense?

Clarke Carlisle - Trying to slip in as many large 'complex' sounding words as possible to make a simple point ans try and appear intelligent. He's been on Countdown you know.

Terry Conroy - Waffling on for 20 minutes about something that could take 30 seconds to explain. I reckon 70% of P+G on a Saturday is listening to his nonsense about STOKE-CELONA's "attractive passing football".

"This is not a Premier League game , but a one-off cup tie , and Stoke need to go for it"

Clark Carlisle stating the obvious today.

Archived