onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

league 1 compared to the championship *finances*

BIRCHES HEAD WHITES

can anyone answer the following questions .

A, what are the figures for tv revenue for clubs in league 1 compared to the championship ?

B, what is the average away attendance figure for league 1 compared to the championship ?

C, with regards to sponsorship figures and advertising how much benefit do clubs receive as they climb from league 1 to the championship . is there a formula that analysts use ? or is it as simple as e.g 20 / 40 / 60 percent increase on your existing figures ?

Advert

Quick comment,

A. L1 £200k, Championship £2.2M, plus of course match fees, number of games will depend on popularity.

B. I assume Vale would study which teams are in each league, closeness, rivalry, usual away attendances. e.g. teams like Wolves, West Brom boost our figs.

slightly off topic, but what is it ith this FFP? We're looking at budget cuts next season despite having no debt and on the back of a promotion winning season, whilst teams like Bristol City are/were in massive debt (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25681289), coventry are signing players (and their board as suggested they will pay a fee for the right player) on crowds of 2000, Scunthorpe in L2 have just signed last season L1 leading scorer Paddy Madden, and then there's teams like Crawley and Fleetwood who show no signs of slowing spending down. It really ****s me off.

slightly off topic, but what is it ith this FFP? We're looking at budget cuts next season despite having no debt and on the back of a promotion winning season, whilst teams like Bristol City are/were in massive debt (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25681289), coventry are signing players (and their board as suggested they will pay a fee for the right player) on crowds of 2000, Scunthorpe in L2 have just signed last season L1 leading scorer Paddy Madden, and then there's teams like Crawley and Fleetwood who show no signs of slowing spending down. It really ****s me off.
An attempt to get clubs to live within their means, to only spend 60% of their income on players wages. Not entirely based on gates, sponsorship can help a lot, as can other on-site facilities, running a separate business at the club and paying a large rent could help. Also clubs recently in Admin are looked at more closely.

If we don't try to get into the highest league possible what is the point?
But what position should that be? Mid table was quite ambitious at the beginning of the season, at half way we had only played Orient away out of the top 6, so less points in the second half of the season? Equally, only Orient to play at home, so maybe it will balance out?

The problem with the championship is, there are the just relegated clubs who are on parachute payments from the prem, these clubs are also bigger than us already, plus the clubs who are striving to get there and risking a lot to achieve it. There is no reason that we can`t get there and compete for a while but it would be a struggle, unless the club is run cleverly to buy and sell players at a profit as Rudge did and Peterborough did fo a while.

I've just read the Sentinel feed from last night and it seems the potential TV revenue if we were to achieve promotion was debated. Does this work the same as the Premiership?

For example Premiership clubs get paid for 10 games (I think) regardless. So if Stoke City only get shown 3 times they still get paid for 10. If Liverpool are show 15 times they get paid for 10 and and additional payments for the other 5.

Is this not how it works in the Championship? People seem worried that we wouldn't be selected to be shown so wouldn't receive TV money. My understanding is that's not how it works, but Smurf seemed to think it does? I wasn't there last night and got my info from the feed. So if anyone knows any more then please tell!

To be fair within each league I think their are 3 mini leagues going on top 8-10 striving for promotion,playoffs,champions league etc then the mid table teams who flirt with getting in the top ten but realisticly slip below that and then the relegation haunted teams who only manage to scramble a few wins a season

I think Vale would if we went up be one of those teams that flirt with relegation in the Championship with maybe a highlight of putting together a few wins back to back

The question we should all ask ourselves is...is it better to be knocking around the playoffs in league one or struggling in the Championship?

Whilst our crowds would go up to say 7-8000 home fans and maybe 1500-2000 average away support 10,000 ave home gate would be a realistic average....is that enough to sustain Championship wages?

This is what Norman was trying to explain last night over the fact we dont have the fan base to sustain the wages as to why he did,nt want us to go up to the Championship yet!

I seem to remember when we play Brentford early season someone posting a link to their 2012/2011 financial accounts and the shock that their wage budget was over £5mil. Now i know this is 1 club but based on this I think PVFC_4_EVA assumption that any extra revenue will be quickly absorbed by the sharp rise in costs, especially if we look to bring in players in an effort to stay up.

Whereas promotion would be great, we would have to be very careful in terms of cost management.

Also just goes to show how well we are doing this season that on half such a budget we are more than pulling our weight.

Much prefer to be struggling in the championship, obviously winning is nice but playing in a higher division is much better. Also to the point that PVFC_4_EVA made, I agree if we signed players to keep us up in the championship and failed, the majority of those would want to leave but that can be said about members of the squad this season, fail to at least attempt promotion and we will lose at least Lines, Loft and Neal.

Archived