onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Key questions of the universe

tonyh

B*gger the "is there a god?" question.

1. I thought we'd solved the "Who should partner Pope?" question with Tomlin's performance at Walsall, but now it's back to square one with a choice between Tomlin, Williamson, Hugill, Hughes and the current outsider, Dodds.

2. Should Birchall play in the middle instead of Griff?

3. Is there a place for Loft, when he's fit again?

Advert

1. I thought we'd solved the "Who should partner Pope?" question with Tomlin's performance at Walsall, but now it's back to square one with a choice between Tomlin, Williamson, Hugill, Hughes and the current outsider, Dodds.

1. I like that whoever out of them are chosen I'm usually quite happy. Great position to be in. I also like 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 which gives other options especially with taylor seemingly on form.

2. Griff needs dropping without a doubt. Birchall is a good call, or if we need a little more strength in the middle, then id be tempted with dickinson with jones at left back.

3. Definitely. Griff should be the first to be dropped, then it depends on the team and tactics as to who should play.

1: I too would like to see a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 however if we are persisting with a flat 4-4-2 then I'd go with Tomlin.

2: Depends who we're playing. Walsall fans said griff was the best player they had seen all season as he broke up everything they tried to start. Not much need for him at home to Salisbury. He is a key player for us and is massively underrated by some.

3: yes, either left side of a 4-4-2 or in a midfield 3 with Lines and Griff.

1: I too would like to see a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 however if we are persisting with a flat 4-4-2 then I'd go with Tomlin.

2: Depends who we're playing. Walsall fans said griff was the best player they had seen all season as he broke up everything they tried to start. Not much need for him at home to Salisbury. He is a key player for us and is massively underrated by some.

3: yes, either left side of a 4-4-2 or in a midfield 3 with Lines and Griff.

You stole my answers! ;)

1. It really is a conundrum with regards to who should partner Pope. Williamson is the most dangerous in build up play, but lacks the striker instinct that Hughes has in abundance, but Hughes is too slow to play with a target man like Pope. Tomlin is clever and drops deep the way Dodds does, and imo is a better play than Dodds. Hugill should be blooded in slowly, a few sub apperances here and there and possibly a loan spell to a lower end League 2 team before he should be given an extended run in the 1st team.

I would go for Williamson. I know he doesn't score enough but his pace and strength give us another option.

2. Another difficult question, I am not a fan of Griff's playing style but he does a lot of good work and allows Lines to roam more. Birchall is a good player, and was superb against Walsall, but I think him and Lines would be a bit indisciplined. I would stick with Griff until we can get a player of better quality who plays in his role.

3. Yes. Without a doubt. I was critical of him last year, but his energy is fantastic, and he doesn't stop running. I think he's best as a wide midfielder.

And I agree Rayzer, I didn't like Dicko at first but he is obviously captain material.

I need to get out more. :(

I'd like to see Dickinson replace Griff in midfield, with Jones at left back. Up front, nice problem to have and I've no idea what the answer is!

I suppose the answer is to change it based on the opposition centre-halves; if they're slow and liable to be caught out by a ball over the top, play Williamson. If they need to be out-muscled, Hughes. If we're in danger of being overrun in midfield, Tomlin.

Is Griff suspended soon?

Everyone would love to see Loft come back and replace Griff but i aren't convinced he can play in a centre midfield role. Although he works hard, his first touch and passing accuracy isn't there (yes, i know Griff's isn't either). On the left however, he can bomb up and down the wing, drift into the middle and make it more compact and whip some crosses in which he isnt too bad at. If we were to sign a player in January, it would definitely be a centre midfielder.

For me the strongest team is:

Neal

Yates Robertson Duffy Dickinson

JMW Griff Lines Loft

Pope Tomlin

Bench: Johnson, Chilvers, Jones, Birchall, Taylor, Hughes, Williamson - Doddsy misses out for me.

Archived