onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tues 22nd October 2013, Crawley Town v Port Vale, Pre Match, the Game itself

Fosse69

Nicky Adams a left back? Don't think so!! Nicky plays wide midfield, Matt Sadler is the left back. As for the same old rumours about our money, we are living within our means which means we do not have one of the biggest budgets. Sinclair was bought but that coincided with a selling of the naming rights to the stadium so that would probably explain that. Looking forward to a good game and don't expect it to be easy. Safe journey to all travelling Vale fans and you are welcome in the Redz bar before the game.

I have since realised that I made that mistake on another forum - I knew he was a left-sided player but was mixed up between left-back and left-midfield. I wasn't having a go regarding the budget and your finances. I was simply stating that it is higher than most would give you credit for. Low crowds and some quality players automatically point to a larger-than-average budget to most people, and they would be correct. I never questioned as to how you managed to gain those resources. That was never up for debate. Thanks for the wishes and I will be popping into the Redz bar providing we arrive in good time.

Advert

I'm particularly fond of long-distance away trips, especially those in midweek, so I'm really looking forward to this. I think we really do need to get something out of this game, with a home game against Gillingham at the weekend. Some people will automatically assume we should be 'beating sides like Crawley', but the majority of supporters will understand that they're a very good, passing side at this level, with some excellent players, and have a larger budget than quite a number of sides in this division. Their six-figure transfer of Emile Sinclair pretty much shows that their small attendances don't reflect their resources.

I'm not sure whether it has any actual bearing on our performances, but our record for long-distance away trips in midweek is particularly balanced as we've had varying results over the years, but not so good in recent seasons. I seem to recall that Crawley have a relatively tight pitch, similar to that of Burton Albion, and we tend to struggle on those kind of surfaces. I'm just hoping we start with a team that can adapt to the pitch. Crawley will have so much success if JMW starts on the wing, as they'll simply close him down by sticking two men on him, and he'll be shut out of the game.

Am I the only Vale supporter who is worried by Adams' apparent lack of a Plan B during games? It seems as if his original plan doesn't work, or things need altering, he panics and just throws any old tactics and substitutes into the mix, without actually knowing how he wants to approach the game. Removing JMW and replacing him with Duffy at Sheffield United was just bizarre. Dodds' introduction on Saturday was equally as needless. We had options offering more attacking intent and pace such as Williamson and Mohamed, yet don't show any urgency to try and make a game of it and go for the jugular.

I'm also concerned at our wastefulness in front of goal when we do get opportunities in games, as it's costing us dearly. We have a host of chances in some games, and fortunately, one or two go in, and we scrape through. However, as opposed to League Two last season, in this division, teams can afford to only have one chance, and they'll punish us with it, so missing glaring chances to score is going to be our achilles heel this season as we don't seem capable of regularly keeping clean sheets.

In terms of team selection, it's beginning to annoy me how Adams seems reluctant to give some of the fringe players a chance to do something. I don't mean the players such as Dodds, Williamson, Birchall and Duffy who he uses more frequently (and frequently offer next to nothing, in the process), but more players like Shuker and Mohamed, who haven't been given a proper run in the team. Little cameos aren't going to give them a platform to gain confidence, and Shuker has virtually been frozen out, even though he's consistently been one of the most performers in the reserves so far this season. It seems Micky has his favourites, and certain players get picked, regardless of their form in previous games.

On the subject of fringe players, I hope I'm not the only one who simply thinks the strength in depth our squad has isn't good enough. The likes of Dodds, Birchall, Duffy etc... just aren't capable of coming on during games and taking it by the scruff of the neck and altering proceedings. We're crying out for some raw pace, which is why Tomlin's recovery is much needed, purely for the fact he's an unknown quantity really, and he could be what we've needed up front.

Has anyone else noticed the sudden lack of urgency in our forward play, and our reluctance to get forward quickly and get balls into the box? We constantly played balls out wide on Saturday, yet JMW, Duffy, Birchall, Yates, Lines etc.. just don't put balls in regularly enough, or good ones on that note, and consistently turn back and pass to the player behind them. It's poor, it completely takes the momentum out of attacks and counter-attacks and gives the opposition chance to throw bodies towards our midfielders and crowd them out. The amount of times we attacked at Sheffield United, paused, dallied on the ball, lost it, and within seconds were on the defensive as they broke forward, was shocking. What's happened to the old 'beat your man and whip the ball in' mindset gone from today's wingers? We haven't had wingers do that since the likes of Steve Guppy and Jon McCarthy.

This is why Pope and Hughes haven't looked threatening in the slightest in recent weeks. The service from out wide and through the middle has been limited and they've been feeding off scraps. It seems like an Adams trait, in regards to lumping balls up to Pope, and it's not working at all. He dominated the majority of League Two defences last season, but this season, he's not finding it so simple and is getting visibly frustrated. This was proven when he hit boiling point at the weekend and almost started a physical confrontation with Robertson, which was unprofessional, but you can see why he's getting so wound up. He does more defensive work than most of our actual back four, and he really needs a goal to keep his head in the right place. Players like Hughes are seasoned veterans and are able to keep their head in games, and although everybody gets frustrated, Popey does have a tendancy to go off the boil and his temper doesn't do him any favours in certain situations.

Onto tomorrow's game, Crawley have got some very good footballers amongst their ranks. The likes of Nicky Adams (who I think is the best left-back in this division bar none), Emile Sinclair, Gary Alexander, Andy Drury, Kyle McFadzean, Matt Sadler and Billy Clarke are all good at their respective jobs and the majority of them, if not at all, would stake a claim at walking into our side with relative ease. It's a real tough job down there tomorrow night, and I know we've only played them twice, but both games were very competitive and we would've had at least two draws, if it wasn't for a very costly dismissal of Clayton McDonald (which was an awful decision, as the ball had already gone out of play). I can see them being similar to Rochdale, in the sense that they go down rather easily, take a lot of free kicks as often as possible to slow down the tempo, and generally play the referee. They pass it around well and are quite clinical from set pieces and in the air, which is where we could be punished. We need to score an early goal if we're going to get something. We always seem to concede the first goal, and it's usually a case of bad marking or poor defensive mistakes that lead to it, rather than the opposition playing through us.

In terms of the team, the goalkeeper and back four are a given. Neal, Yates, Robertson, Chilvers and Dickinson at left back, in for the suspended Daniel Jones. In midfield, Griff and Lines are a must for me, so I'd stick Loft down the left and give JMW the chance to prove himself after the little 'bust-up' with Micky Adams after his early exit on Saturday due to the red card. This is the game where I'd actually rest Pope, and play Hughes up top with Williamson. However, Adams has his favourites and won't dare drop Pope, no matter how poorly he's playing, so it'll be Pope and Hughes, which isn't working. Or, Pope and Williamson, which means we'll create umpteen chances at goal and take none. A frustrating evening lies ahead, if so.

I think we'll put in a brave effort after going 1-0 down early on, and get caught cold, similar to Accrington last August. 2-0 defeat. If we get an early goal, everything changes, but we have got to improve, and massively. Hugill's recall from his loan spell at Gateshead surely means Adams has him in mind? Otherwise, it's harsh on Gateshead and a pointless decision. Even if it's only ten minutes at the end of the game. It's a new option and no harm in giving him a cameo to impress.

So, I'll go for a 2-0 defeat, and around 200 or so frustrated Valiants.

So much sense in this post, Fred Flintstone. Kudos.

----------------Neal-----------------

Yates--Robertson--Chilvers--Dickinson

-------------------------------------

--------Griffith-----Loft--------------

JMW---------Lines---------Mohammed

--------------Pope------------------

Get back to feeding the Pope, JMW + Mohammed firing crosses in at every chance.

Taking into consideration the anticipated weather conditions I would go with -

______________Neal____________

Yates__Robertson__Chilvers__Loft

_________Griff__Dicko________

___Lines_____________Shuker_______

______Hughes___Hugill_________

Same formation as we used V Bristol and I do think Hugill may start and if he is scoring then he deserves a go.

Archived