onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

It's official.

bookworm

Advert

I lived away from Stoke for 5 years and moved back, it's then I realised what a **** hole it is. I didn't realise until I lived in a far nicer place. I have since moved away again and will never move back. The only reason I return is because of the Vale.

Where did you move to?

The first line of your second paragraph says it all...

If you are fortunate enough to have a decent job and live in the area

If you were fortunate to have a decent job that allowed you to move anywhere would you choose to live in the area?... and if so where would you choose?... Hanley?... Cobridge?... Burslem?... Chell Heath?... Abby Hulton?

If the majority had decent jobs the area wouldnt be as bad as it is [probably]

I think part of the problem is the dull acceptance by the people that this is how life is, we just have to get on with it and make the most of it which then becomes the norm.

I think the great mystery of life is actually knowing what you want, not what people tell you you should have or what you should need, not seeing what someone else has and wanting it but actually knowing what you want.

There is always someone worse off than you but that doesnt mean you have to accept what you have, there is always someone better off than you but that doesnt mean you should want what they have.

It is impossible to over achieve, it is possible to underestimate your ability to achieve.

I think one of the worst things in SoT is the general attitude of the residents... it could be worse... its better than it was... I would rather live here than XYZ?... you wouldnt say that if you lived in ABC? etc.

Comparing anything to something that is worse doesnt make it better... its better than DR Congo but that doesnt make SoT a good place to be.

The general acceptance of the people of any area defines its ability to change.

Have you ever been to Crewe or Nantwich what a bunch of miserable ****ers.

Add Walsall to that list.

A lot of Walsall is not that bad, far nicer than SOT IMO and it's neighbours of Wolverhampton and West Bromwich.

The problem with people from Stoke is that they keep saying it ain't that bad and compare to some other dump saying it's not that bad, it's about time we start comparing it to some nicer places. Cardiff, Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle are all cities that 25 years ago were just as bad as Stoke but these cities have invested and have become nice cities to live in.

"We're from Stoke on Trent,

we're from Stoke on Trent,

we are Port Vale

We're from Stoke on Trent"

We aren't the rosiest place to live by far and most of us know and understand that.

Nigh on 200 Years of the dirtiest, grimiest, low-paid, manual labour intensive work has kept us way down the pecking order.

Conservative Governments give our City nothing because they know we will never vote for them - Labour Governments give our City nothing because they know we will always vote for them.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but it's ours - Like it or not I don't really care what anyone else thinks........it's home.

It has something unique which calls to you all.....trust your heartstrings, Burslem, Stoke on Trent is THE CENTRE OF OUR UNIVERSE! :yes:;)

The problem with people from Stoke is that they keep saying it ain't that bad and compare to some other dump saying it's not that bad, it's about time we start comparing it to some nicer places. Cardiff, Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle are all cities that 25 years ago were just as bad as Stoke but these cities have invested and have become nice cities to live in.

Spot on

So what you're saying is SoT is great for her cos she earns a load of dosh via a company that isn't in the city, she doesn't have to work in the city, she can afford a lovely house which most in the city could not afford and basically her corcumstances are nothing like most people in the city of SoT.

If the people of SoT expected more from their city that would be a major factor in it not being behind Derby, Coventry etc etc

No she chooses to live in Stoke-on-Trent because she likes the area and likes the people but that doesn't suit your argument

That's a rdiculous comment..you didn't say she lives in SoT cos she likes the area and the people you pointed out that she was able to afford a nice house in a nice area and is seems that's cos she works in Manchester and London..not SoT

I find your attitude towards Stoke-on-Trent and its people a bit patronising to be honest, you keep banging on about people not expecting enough of their city so explain exactly what you mean by that? People in Stoke-on-Trent are no different to most the country over in my experience..........

Firstly I have consistantly said that the people are amongst the nicest I have ever come across so I have no idea how that is patronising

Secondly finding my views patronising highlights one of the very issues with the people..why is it partonising to criticise and suggest ways of making the place better? Criticism should be welcomed..and if it's showed to be wrong fair enough

The example I always give is voting the same councillors and party back in at local and parliamentary level time and time again with no chance of their being a 'revolution' by saying "you've not done enough for us, we expect better so we're going to vote differently this time".

The area is still tied into this idea of the working man, of bosses and workers.

SoT has fewer graduates per head than most comparable places in England

Generally the place is rather parochial

Having lived in Sunderland, Lincoln, Oxfordshire, different parts of London and now Devon it gives me no pleasure to claim that the people I have met are in the main far more aspriational regarding their lot in life and the place where they live. Even here in my part of sleepy Devon (© Birdy 2012) there have been massive protests against plans by the local and district councils, councillors voted out to give them and their party a kick up the @r$e cos they have not done enough..does/will that happen in SoT? I hope that it would but I doubt it

Another problem stoke has with regards to investment, infrastructure etc, is that it isn't a city in the same way other cities are. We are unique in that it's really six towns that have grown into each other, rather than one area that has expanded to a certain size with all roads leading to the centre (so to speak). What other city has changed their city centre?

Archived