onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The "players"

boltonsno1

Bury at the start of the season away felt like the start of something big, with or without talk of Mo and the board. sitting in the away end out numbering and out singing the bury fans was amazing, In my opinion the team never got over micky leaving an the timing (matchs lost due to weather) gave the players far to long to dwell on it. I think (altho i 100% back the campain for change that if fans were as loud inside the ground as they are outside we may just of sneaked it. it can be easy playing in a silent stadium full of negativity, i for one would hae to work where 4000 people were asking fo my boss to be sacked boo ing and cursing the board, the only atmosphere was a bad one, so i feel as a result of micky leaving the fans heads dropped, the board let us down with gannon,the board let us down with Mo, gannon broke wounded egos, and the fans let vale down in the stands from out singing everyone to a polite cricket clap, whether were 8-0 down or 8-0 up the fans are there to be the 12th man where were the anti stoke songs and the chants of old, hopefully a new board will bring back the old atmosphere

Advert

I think the players and the board should take an equal share of the blame to be honest.

We all know we need investment, but at the same time the players should have been good enough to at least make the playoffs. Just look at the teams who are in there (Torquay, Accrington, Stevenage). All teams with smaller budgets and smaller crowds than us. After the start we had we should have definitely been amongst those teams at the very least.

Then again the weaknesses were obvious even when we were going well. Had the board accepted Mo's bid we could have brought in some more attacking options and strengthened around Christmas, when we were already starting to wobble a bit. Had the board sold I think we'd have probably been able to bring in the necessary quality to go up automatically.

So in short, the players should have been good enough to get us promoted, but the board could have guaranteed it!

As I've mentioned in the Gannon thread the players certainly do have to take some responsibility for what has happened during the second half of the season.

Of course their heads would drop a little after a decent manager like Adams has left but they're Professional for goodness sake and as Lady_Vale says, certainly doesn't give them the excuse to make the club a laughing stock off the pitch by getting arrested after a drinking binge in Stafford!:(

I also completely agree with the poster who mentioned the 'feel good' factor being around at Bury 1st game of the season. We dominated the 2nd half against a team who would eventually go on and win automatic promotion and thought that things were looking up (on the field at least anyway).

At the end of the day the players 'bottled it' and they have to be held accountable for that.

the players should be ashamed, did Bury players give up after Alan Knill walked out, no they pulled together and pushed on to automatic promotion.

They also had a head start in that a ****er wasn't appointed who disrupted the players, fans and staff. But yes, the players have been shocking.

The players have returned back to type. Before MA only one or two were worth keeping during MAs stay all were worth keeping. After MA back to type only a few worth keeping. Just goes to show how important the manager is

Don't forget Mark Grew's lack of ability as coach and certainly as a manager. Another decision the board got wrong. Surely Grew was Peter Jackson's choice. Part of his "5 year plan" as Glover was. I.E the fans won't turn on an ex-player as fast but is not up to the job. £150,000 for a prime piece of real estate is a great piece of business.

Archived