onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ex Players

Mr Carter

100% right. These guys also did a lot with Port Vale in the community, and other stuff as Rob mentioned - all on a voluntary basis. To portray them as free loaders is pathetic. They're trying to give a grand for the disabled stand ***, for anyone who can be arsed to read the story. Not angling for freebies. The least they deserve is respect.

It's a sad reflection on the Club.

Very disappointed in what's happened and would love to blame Lodey for it but NS said that it was his own decision.

Advert

Gosh, you've led a sheltered life. ;)

I've also been going for thirty-odd years and I've heard much about their fundraising efforts for the Sproson Fund and the Disabled stand. What the Sentinel doesn't mention is that many of them also turn up for things like funerals (to represent the club). On a personal note, they came to my dad's 80th birthday as a surprise. They paid their way to get to it, stayed for several hours (they didn't have to) and it made my dad's day.

These are often local people who hardly earned high wages , who are still proud about their times playing for the club. In short, they are the sort of people who are excellent ambassadors for the club - who can show people what the club still means to many.

I think it's flippant and downright rude to call them a "free ticket association."

This is no "free ticket association" - if you read the article you'll see the tickets were given as part of their hospitality duties. I reckon the club handing out a seat so that people at the game can meet ex-players, some of them club legends like Ken Hancock is a very small price to pay.

Worse than downright rude - the couple of posters who showed such a lack of respect for mostly low-paid former players should be aware they are disrespecting the entire club and its' history.

I don't know the full facts, but I would hope our chairman can find a means of resolving this quickly and respectfully.

This kind of thing isn't exactly new at Vale Park either, as Roy Sproson never attended a match after being pushed out as manager, and John Rudge wasn't flavour of the month until we got rid of Bell and his biscuit tins.

We all have our favourite players and memories. Amazing to see Colin Askey about, how has he kept the same hairstyle since the 50s? Ken Hancock`s clean sheet in front of a swaying Kop at Anfield, also hobbling across the goal with an injured leg against Brian Clough in the 60`s. Priceless, that is what a football club is all about, it`s history and tradition, that is why people keep coming.

what an ignorant bunch of ****ers a lot of you are! You make comments whilst having absolutely no idea what these people did in return for their "free" ticket. If you have ever sat in a box then you will know what the ex players did for their free entry. Ambassadors for the club, ignored by the club and now no longer attached to our club.

Disgraceful treatment in anyones eyes.

So in that respect why do war veterans have pay an entrance fee?

Well so much for our so called Family Club!Vale should show a bit of loyalty to those who served Vale well over the years.Its sad to see the older players, who were on a low wage compared to today,suffer .I can recall a similar City-Vale ex players organisation of a few years ago that ,I think,has fallen away nowadays.Vale could gain respect by using a few as discussed in previous posts.What will come next,stopping all complimentary tickets?

In my opinion...

Having ex players represent the club in ambassadorial roles is priceless.

Supporters will consist of a wide cross section, great grandparents who remember their time at vale with their parents, their own time and the time with their children, grand children and possibly great grand children.... and so it continues to the children of today. Most people can remember family members talking of "the old days"... being robbed... winning... losing etc etc.. even if the old days were the 80s or 90s.

Its ok to watch old film clips of Vales history, or read memories of that time but these men are the living history of our club. They didnt just turn up and shout support, they lived it, they pulled on the shirt and ran the field. They are our history willing to be ambassadors at various times, doing various tasks including making the fans feel special and cared about.

You cant buy PR like that.... nothing connects the supporters of all ages to the club like the men who lived our dreams and wore the shirt for the club we love.

What better way to meet and greet sponsors/potential sponsors on match days? Or supporters/customers on special occasions? Or on sad occasions to reaffirm the club cares and that Vale is a family?

For this they have been given 12 tickets for empty, unused, unwanted seats in a stadium 50% underused most of the time.

If we cant afford to give "those who went before" 12 tickets why are we bothering to spend money finishing a stand that will increase capacity but wont increase gates?

Whatever the club decides it would be decent and courteous to actually tell the people involved instead of just ignoring them.

Personally I would give them the 12 tickets and a blazer with a club crest, for the times they represent the club.

Archived