onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Club statement ref Wolves match.

melv

Advert

Mate can you tell me what a usual chant is when Notts forest play Leicester and I think it was in the national papees? What do they call derby fans aswell?? Nuff said. its all about opinion granted but statistics dont support what ur saying. Location is everything for me and being only a 25min drive from the roaches and an hour from any 4 airports gives stoke the thumbs up from me anyways

That's what so many say is great about SoT..it's close to nice places and easy to get away from :)

Personally I live in a nice place so I don't care how soon I can be in another nice place or how easy it is to get out of here.

However, what really makes a place is the people and everyone I actually know in SoT is a really decent person. One of the reason I am so disappointed by the bahaviour of these idiots..they let down all the decent people

But there was no choice people were forced to walk down the road by coppers with batons drawn and police dogs going nuts.

If there's ever trouble at the Vale, it's on hamil Road.

If ever trouble was going to kick off this season, it was on Hamil Road.

I'm really honestly very very surprised that so many innocent bystanders chose to walk down Hamil Road, unless they really had no idea of what might happen.

The sensible idea is to consider which route is the safest, even if it means taking different choices than usual.

You wouldn't choose to walk down an unlit alleyway at night in a dodgy part of town.

It saddens me to say this as a Stoke lad born and bred but having not lived in the area for over 15 years I think I may have a better persepective than some on here.

It's NOT a nationwide problem, yes there are a few morons at every club but Vale, some of its fans and to a large degree the city of Stoke on Trent, is still in the last century. We have as high a % of pond scum in our relatively small fanbase as any club I can think of and it's getting worse, whereas generally this is a problem of the past for most football clubs.

The racism, the ******** 18 year old chavs that were trying to cause trouble on saturday and the general sense of nastiness at Vale games, particuarly some away games, is not what football is about in this day and age. Sadly, in many ways the Vale is a symbol of the city today.

I will get shot down for the above I am sure, but some of you on here need to wake up and look beyond the city walls. Stoke generally isn't thought about by the rest of the country as a modern, cosmopolitan, forward-thinking city you know.

However, despite my opinions above, I agree that yes, the police were inept and heavy handed, however, it wasn't them that CAUSED the trouble. Like it or not it was ********s who have attached themselves to Vale.

For me, it's 35 years, but having been exiled in a number of other English cities during that time, I would agree wholeheartedly with the above.

If there's ever trouble at the Vale, it's on hamil Road.

If ever trouble was going to kick off this season, it was on Hamil Road.

I'm really honestly very very surprised that so many innocent bystanders chose to walk down Hamil Road, unless they really had no idea of what might happen.

The sensible idea is to consider which route is the safest, even if it means taking different choices than usual.

You wouldn't choose to walk down an unlit alleyway at night in a dodgy part of town.

Maybe they thought it would be safe enough to walk down Hamil as we had been told that the Wolves fans would be kept in after the match if there was trouble.There was trouble so they thought the best idea and safest was to get out of the way ASAP.With that in mind that is what they did and used the Hamil as that was the most direct and would have had more police.

Maybe they thought it would be safe enough to walk down Hamil as we had been told that the Wolves fans would be kept in after the match if there was trouble.There was trouble so they thought the best idea and safest was to get out of the way ASAP.With that in mind that is what they did and used the Hamil as that was the most direct and would have had more police.

Fair point, but it's happened before, and a lot of us know from experience that you can't trust the Police

Fair point, but it's happened before, and a lot of us know from experience that you can't trust the Police

OMG dont say that about the police REP Ban ki moon of Burslem will be on your case.But you are correct.Its only the fault of the Vale fans in Boslems Ban ki moons eyes.

It saddens me to say this as a Stoke lad born and bred but having not lived in the area for over 15 years I think I may have a better persepective than some on here.

It's NOT a nationwide problem, yes there are a few morons at every club but Vale, some of its fans and to a large degree the city of Stoke on Trent, is still in the last century. We have as high a % of pond scum in our relatively small fanbase as any club I can think of and it's getting worse, whereas generally this is a problem of the past for most football clubs.

The racism, the ******** 18 year old chavs that were trying to cause trouble on saturday and the general sense of nastiness at Vale games, particuarly some away games, is not what football is about in this day and age. Sadly, in many ways the Vale is a symbol of the city today.

I will get shot down for the above I am sure, but some of you on here need to wake up and look beyond the city walls. Stoke generally isn't thought about by the rest of the country as a modern, cosmopolitan, forward-thinking city you know.

However, despite my opinions above, I agree that yes, the police were inept and heavy handed, however, it wasn't them that CAUSED the trouble. Like it or not it was ********s who have attached themselves to Vale.

I'm sorry but I disagree with this 100%. I don't live in Stoke-On-Trent anymore, but it's not because there's anything wrong with the people, it's because it's too small and is held back by a small town mentality with an inherent lack of ambition. Not to say that you can't be successful in Stoke-On-Trent, but generally for the University graduate you're chances of a successful career are better pursued elsewhere. Plus, you're only in Nottingham, don't tell me that 45 minutes down the road you're all driving hybrid cars and are fully paid up members of the Respect Party.

I travel from Manchester every home game and see everything that goes on in the Paddock and outside the ground, and of course, there is some utter buffoons who sit nearest to the away fans. However, then you go and sit in the Lorne Street, Bycars, or the other 95% of the Paddock and they're some of the nicest people you'll find. The 'racist' chanting at Bradford (I missed the game so can't really comment) was actually flagged up by other Vale fans, and only then did it backfire to create a huge issue where the media reveled in branding us a racist club. That Daily Mirror article was appalling. Also, you know the sort of chants against Bradford, "You're just a small town in Asia..." being a prime example. I don't think this is so much racism as mus-construed banter. Although I'd know far better than to chant it, I can see why young naive wannabe hooligans may not realise the immediate racist connotations to the song.

As for the trouble outside the ground, my Step Dad was in the police control room for the game and he said he was amazed it made national news as it goes on at every ground, every week, when there is crowds that large, and when it is a bit of a derby game. Those idiots in the Paddock certainly need to wind their neck in and we need to start making a few examples of them with banning orders from the ground or even close to it on match day, but don't get drawn in to what has been some very harsh media on Vale fans recently.

I'm sorry but I disagree with this 100%. I don't live in Stoke-On-Trent anymore' date=' but it's not because there's anything wrong with the people, it's because it's too small and is held back by a small town mentality with an inherent lack of ambition.[/quote']

So there is something wrong with the people..they have a small town mentality and an inherent lack of ambition!! :) :unsure:

I don't think this is so much racism as mus-construed banter.

I tend to agree that most are probably not racist who were chanting..just idiots. But it's not banter, it's illegal chanting

Couldn't agree more. Same experience for me. S-o-T has many of the nicest people you'll ever meet. It'll always be home. It gave the world oatcakes, and even in the Maldives I was proudly ****ing in a bog made in S-o-T. But, the last few away games I've been to it's been cringeworthy. Even worse, because I went along with neutrals, whose response was "never again".

Speaking here as someone who attended away games in the late seventies/ eighties. It was nasty, but normal people just interested in the football could avoid it in the ground at least. Not so now.

It gave the world oatcakes, .

I don't think you meant it that way but sometimes when people go on about SoT's contributions to the world it is (to coin a phrase) cringeworthy; oatcakes, Reginald Mitchell, Lemmy, Slash, Frank Bough, Capt Smith, Robbie and so on. For me I'd be mention Arnold Bennett, Wedgewood, Doulton, Jack Ashley...I'd like to see more of the city's history and heritage taught in local schools

Hmm.."to coin a phrase" does not mean to 'invent' a phrase..it is in fact most often used ironically when repeating something already used..as in this case when cringewrothy had already been used :) Although technically cringeworthy is not a phrase :(

Actual definition " something you say before using an expression that has been very popular or used too much: "

So not disappointed at all :) Pedantic but not disappointed ;)

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/to-coin-a-phrase

Oh and welcome to OVF..you seem to be a newcomer:hi:

Mr. Smurthwaite continued: “I say to those people who have used the club as a vehicle to engage in violence, you are not true supporters, otherwise you would not bring the club’s name into disrepute. To the vast majority of loyal Vale fans – thank you for your support.”

can't see anything wrong with that,well done norman.

Archived