onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What style of football do you want for Port Vale?

barkis

Tight midfield keeping hold of the ball, and spraying it around, attacking wing backs, strikers who are hungry for any ball that comes their way, and don't be afraid to kick the opposition up in the air in the first ten mins, within reason of course. Arsenal played with a good spine when they won the Prem , going undefeated. A bit much to ask, but a good spine is essential to any side.

Advert

I'm just wondering what others think about our current style of football and whether you think the "style" we play is important or not. For me, I'd like to see a consistent football philosophy entrenched throughout all the club's teams and I'd like to see that philosophy based on a pure footballing style involving passing from the back and intelligent movement. Now you might well argue that we currently have neither the management nor the players to achieve this at the moment, but does that mean that we shouldn't aim to achieve it? I don't think so. For me, the club needs to have a clear direction of travel aimed at a football style we want to adopt for years to come. It doesn't matter what division we are in....I still think it is possible to play a passing game and be successful in ANY division. Look at Brentford, Doncaster, and Bournemouth for examples. Also, Swansea started from scratch many years ago and decided when they were in the fourth tier to go for a pure footballing philosophy and look where they are now....and they aren't a significantly bigger club potentially than we are. Wigan is another example of a relatively small club being successful with a pure footballing philosophy.

I have to admit I don't at all like the style of football we currently play, and this applies to most of the games last season too. It's basic and outdated and in the main not attractive to watch. I want our teams to play attractive, passing, modern football where the accent is on technical ability and intelligent movement not physicality. I admit this is just my opinion and others may not be bothered as long as we're successful or others might even prefer our current more direct "style".

So..what do you all think? Is style important to you or aren't you bothered? And do you think a passing style should be adopted as a club philosophy which should then inform the kind of players we sign and develop?

Well said but lost on most in here and in England.

We should be literally doing everything to copy the Swansea model for the long term success and viability of the club.

Archived