onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What style of football do you want for Port Vale?

barkis

I'm just wondering what others think about our current style of football and whether you think the "style" we play is important or not. For me, I'd like to see a consistent football philosophy entrenched throughout all the club's teams and I'd like to see that philosophy based on a pure footballing style involving passing from the back and intelligent movement. Now you might well argue that we currently have neither the management nor the players to achieve this at the moment, but does that mean that we shouldn't aim to achieve it? I don't think so. For me, the club needs to have a clear direction of travel aimed at a football style we want to adopt for years to come. It doesn't matter what division we are in....I still think it is possible to play a passing game and be successful in ANY division. Look at Brentford, Doncaster, and Bournemouth for examples. Also, Swansea started from scratch many years ago and decided when they were in the fourth tier to go for a pure footballing philosophy and look where they are now....and they aren't a significantly bigger club potentially than we are. Wigan is another example of a relatively small club being successful with a pure footballing philosophy.

I have to admit I don't at all like the style of football we currently play, and this applies to most of the games last season too. It's basic and outdated and in the main not attractive to watch. I want our teams to play attractive, passing, modern football where the accent is on technical ability and intelligent movement not physicality. I admit this is just my opinion and others may not be bothered as long as we're successful or others might even prefer our current more direct "style".

So..what do you all think? Is style important to you or aren't you bothered? And do you think a passing style should be adopted as a club philosophy which should then inform the kind of players we sign and develop?

Advert

...unfortunately, the passing game played by a lot of European teams includes an awful lot of negative passing, which I don't think would go down to well with a lot of our fans. We've all seen it - left back to centre half, to other centre half, to right back, back to centre half, to other centre half again, to left back, to keeper, out to right back again...Christ, it even gets boring reading it, never mind watching it !!! How do you think Ashley Williams became one of the best passers of the ball in Europe, according to the stats? He hardly ever passes it more than 5 yards in case he gives it away, and the number of forward passes he makes, you could notch on my ....! How many midfielders run towards the CH, demand a 5 yard pass, then give it straight back to the CH? Absloutely f...... boring. Football is rapidly passing itself out of the entertainment business... it's excitement and entertainment that fans want, surely?

Anyway, rant over.

Primarily, I want us to win. After that, exciting and attacking football. I want to see goals and be entertained. Spain, who I guess you like to watch, with all their technical ability, bore the pants off me o be honest. They don't play a striker half the time. Neither would a 100+ pass goal entertain me. Fast attacking football with players who will run at the opposition and have a pop at goal. That's what I like to watch.

I always remember in the mid nineties, we played with wingers and when ever anyone asked me who I supported, I always said with great pride Port Vale. We combined good football with attacking play. That's what I like.

ng matches

Primarily, I want us to win. After that, exciting and attacking football. I want to see goals and be entertained. Spain, who I guess you like to watch, with all their technical ability, bore the pants off me o be honest. They don't play a striker half the time. Neither would a 100+ pass goal entertain me. Fast attacking football with players who will run at the opposition and have a pop at goal. That's what I like to watch.

I always remember in the mid nineties, we played with wingers and when ever anyone asked me who I supported, I always said with great pride Port Vale. We combined good football with attacking play. That's what I like.

Well, no I don't like to see football played like a chess gam...they ARE boring. I just think passing football with intelligent movement is the way to go and it can produce exciting matches. I don't think many people would say Swansea's style is boring...THAT'S what we should be aiming for in my view.

Forwards who have movement and can finish

Pacy wingers who get past their man to deliver crosses

A midfield that is an iron fist in a velvet glove..does the nice defence splitting passes but on a foundation of being a tough nut to crack

A defence that is organised and is populated by defenders who defend first and foremost

Basically Rudgie's teams from the mid-late 90s!!!

More seriously, possession football with a spurt of attacking intent when the time is right

If we are to change the style with the present set up, the summer was the time to do it, so it could be worked on constantly. Having started the season the way we have, it is unlikely that the style can be changed now - we just have to keep working on our technique, and put a lot of energy in to every game. The passing teams have been doing it that way for a while - it is a big decision from the coaching staff to go down that line now. Hopefully the players will improve as the season progresses being up against better opposition, and the transition will be possible sooner rather than later.

Like Jonny Aitch says , a return to the passing style of the mid 90s would be great, but that would require money we don't presently have to get in passing players. An Ian Bogie or a Paul Kerr in the present side would do nicely. Any spare Ray Walkers going in Villa reserves?

Id like to see balls played mainly to feet,with good tempo to our game.

For example popey is useless with a ball pumped from def to around his neck area,to try to control!

Play to his feet,he does brilliantly at bringin others into play.

Id like to see quick passing into feet or space to run onto for a first time cross.

Vale over all my 30 odd years of supporting them have played well and won this way.quick tempo to feet,fast wingers,good crosses.

Somehow we changed our style once purse signed,by pumping long high balls to popey. Still doing same now!

Popey might as well stay off,as he crnt do anything with it...doubt any player could!

Something similar to the style of play that saw Brazil beat Spain in the Confederations cup final will do nicely. I don't think this is beyond our capabilities.

Fully committed.

Right in the face of the opposition.

Scorching tempo.

Decisive passing using our talented flanks and central channels.

Simple isn't it?

barkis, I suggest that if that's what you want out of Vale that we actually replace nearly the entire squad!

Love the Vale, but to ask the present holders of the shirt to do what you want is impossible unfortunately!

l was really asking in my post whether we should adopt a preferred style of football as a club through all our various teams with the long term aim of achieving a good standard in the chosen style at particularly first team level. I agree that most of the current players probably aren't the best for the "passing style" that I'm suggesting but it's never too soon to begin work towards that style. Of course having the right manager and coaches who totally believe in that style are crucial. In the 70s and 80s Nottingham Forst had a team comprising a lot of other club's misfits but they had an extremely effective and successful footballing style. I wonder who their manager and coach were?

l was really asking in my post whether we should adopt a preferred style of football as a club through all our various teams with the long term aim of achieving a good standard in the chosen style at particularly first team level. I agree that most of the current players probably aren't the best for the "passing style" that I'm suggesting but it's never too soon to begin work towards that style. Of course having the right manager and coaches who totally believe in that style are crucial. In the 70s and 80s Nottingham Forst had a team comprising a lot of other club's misfits but they had an extremely effective and successful footballing style. I wonder who their manager and coach were?
One of them had played in goal for the Vale.

Archived