onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Italy?

valesince83

Advert

I'm planning a trip to Italy for me and the mrs , was wondering which towns /cities are well known for there great food. Any recommendations ???

Which part of Italy? As Va-Lee-ant mentions, Sorrento is a cracking base for the south west coast. I'd add a day trip to Naples into his list. Interesting, slightly edgy city and fantastic pizza. Rome and the Lakes (Como/Garda) are also fantastic.

We stayed in Sorrento. Fantastic place to stay. Beautiful coast line. Good base to visit Capri, Positano, Vesuvius & Pompeii. All great places to go and are a must if you do go.

It is lovely. I drove my Dad to Sorrento a few years back. 3000miles in ten days. Bit TopGear crazy. If you do drive you'll find more places to stop on the west coast. Unless you have somewhere booked the east coast didn't have many places easily locatable.

Sorrento itself is also close to a place called Saint Angelo I think. This is where a lot of the hotels are - its a 20min walk to Sorrento centre. The best restaurant we found was the Caruso Restaurant. It's pricey but the wine list is about 1000 pages long.

As for Capri - you have to take a bus on the island up to the top. They are small and utterly terrifying. Makes Alton Towers look like an escalator.

We stopped at Lake Como - unfortunately it was bucketing it down so didn't see much but we did have a very nice pizza!

Pompeii was very interesting and huge - we timed our visit (accidentally) on a bank holiday which meant it was free.

My wife went to Rome - do not stay near the train station no matter what deal you get. You won't sleep a wink and you'll be scared to leave at night. Rome is also ludicrously busy.

Your question was about food. In my experience of travelling in Italy, you can get really good food everywhere, but especially so when you get out of the main cities. One of my best memories is of a restaurant in Vinci, close to Empoli and west of Florence. It is famous because of Leonardo da Vinci but it is pretty small and unspoilt.

If you want to romance the better half, Verona is ideal - the source of the Romeo & Juliet stories that Shakespeare pinched - plus it's a reasonable train ride to Venice, too and it has a huge amphitheatre which is still used for music and theatre.

Sorrento is a good base for exploring Pompeii and Herculaneum, but the beach is tiny and made of volcanic ash, so it's like sitting on an ashtray...plus a Roman friend of mine wouldn't swim in the Bay of Naples, as he reckoned it was filled with Naples' sewage. And if you think it's rough around Termini station in Rome (it's actually improved a great amount) wait until you visit Naples...my vote would be Verona therefore - classier place and quite a few day trips possible from there. When inter-railing, I once caught a train from Verona to Turin, just to pick up a Sunday paper for a Vale match report...(pre-internet, obviously..,)

Archived