onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope

geosname

Advert

I think that most fans are questioning the team's overall abilities and not just Pope's as a goal scorer, which is without question in the right team.

It was interesting to note that Pope tweeted after the first match that life in Div 1 wasn't as he expected it to be.

The simple fact is that every individual has to improve to the level we are now at, those who dont get dropped and that includes Pope. One thing we have got to stop doing is being in such a hurry get the ball into Pope, half the time we just wallop the ball towards the box and hope where as the teams ive seen so far are paatient and calculated.

Dodds is only used as the comedian of the squad so i dont think Adams will play him and Pope anytime soon. The main thing that concerns me is Tomlin and Mohammed, who have proved me right that Adams has wasted good money on two ***** players. We should have signed Mark Yeates , He his a quality player shown yesterday with a screamer for Bradford.

Proved right? Its still august, two games in, give the lads chance to settle and gel.

Simple for me, I would play Tom and Hughesy from the start and sub Hughes when he starts tiring on the hour or so.

I just think the two of them playing together would cause defences even in this league lots of problems.

At this level that first goal is critical and with this pairing I see early goals in the first half your.

Don't get me wrong I like Tomlinson and Mohamed but I think getting that first goal is massive and I think that if we can defend a lead and add Tomlin or ( and) Mo for the last 30 mins or so will give more that half the teams in Div2 plenty to think about.

Don't let's forger Hugheys experience at this level where he has scored goals for years!

Well more or less!

Im starting to feel a bit sorry for Tom. He seems to be getting a bit of stick from some for not doing what he did last season.

From what I have read he seems to be doing quite a bit more defending than attacking and when he is in a position to attack one of two things happens... He either gets marked out or he doesnt get fed with productive passes.

So here is one for Tom....

Many posters have referred to adams as "getting us up" last season... what would have happened if Pope hadnt been playing?... would we have got promotion?... would we have managed to get past half way?

At the start of the season many people commented about the positional palyers we needed to survive in this league, I dont think many mentioned strikers or front men but thats what seemed to be the priority... the positions most mentioned seemed more like an afterthought... it doesnt matter how many front men you have if the ball doesnt get past the halfway line.

Tom Pope... the right man in the right place at the right time for the right team... last season... he hasnt changed so what has?

Although I just about agree with you why is there no thread for the stick Adams is getting right now? He is apparently not doing what he did last season either...

Why havent you started one?

Predictable response from you. I notice you haven't held back in slating Adams for not doing what he did last season (win games) but you ask for people to give the Pope a chance to adapt to league 1.

You have big opinions on a football club you rarely see play.

Predictable response from you. I notice you haven't held back in slating Adams for not doing what he did last season (win games) but you ask for people to give the Pope a chance to adapt to league 1.

You have big opinions on a football club you rarely see play.

Where have I slated adams?

You are quite at liberty to open a thread re adams why do you need someone else to do it for you?... worried by the responses perhaps?

I didnt live 6,000 miles away in the 50s when I started supporting the Vale now its not viable to attend but that doesnt mean I dont support them, and yes I have opinions, like you, only different.

I'm going to be unpopular for saying it but I think he's looked out of sorts or off the pace. It's early days of course and as has been said the defenses are better, Brentford marked him out of it largely and the big black lad whose name I can't pronounce for Col U pretty much had him in his pocket. I didn't go against Walsall but from text commentary he seemed to have a few half chances?

old sage mentioned on another thread that Pope doesn't get much protection from officials. I agree to a point but he needs to combat this, he managed it last season there are some big CBs in league two(altho they may not be that good) but he managed to get the better of them in and around the penalty area.

I have faith that Pope will come good again soon!:yes:

Last year, he had built partnerships with Dodds/Williamson and, to a lesser extent IMO, Hughes. This year, Tomlin and him are playing too far apart thus leaving Pope to be buffered about by 2 central defenders. I am not averse to playing Tomlin, as I think there is more ability there than he has shown so far, but I would prefer to see him playing wider, similar to where he played against us at Roots Hall last year.

Archived