onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope

geosname

I won't slate Popey as the lad always gives his best and he should get the freedom of the city for his efforts last season. What's struck me in both games I've seen, including yesterday, is that (i) he looked really out of sorts, just not like the Tom Pope of old and (ii) he was totally marked out of the game by two massive defenders who had his number from minute one. Tomlin got the same treatment and was totally ineffective.

By contrast, Hughes and Williamson, for the short time they were on, and with much the same service from midfield, really began to trouble the Colchester defence. There is more guile and trickery to Hughesy's game and he seemed to win more headers and flick on's because of his better positional sense and ability to lose his marker. He's definitely proven at this level and, in my view, needs to start with Willo whose pace and more direct physical play, running at defenders, was much more effective than Tomlin had been all game.

The other difference was JMW who almost salvaged a point near the end when his curling shot went just past the far post. Again, another starter for me.

Hindsight is great, isn't it, and if we'd started with those three we'd definitely been in with a shout. We don't need to panic but Popey, even at this early stage, needs a rest. The opposition are just waiting for him and Hughesy would give them something different to think about. Others will think differently but that's my view.

Advert

On yesterday it was simply down to a lack of service from a team that created zero chances for him. He did a great bit of play to force the ball back into the box for a header at one stage but in truth he was completely marked out of the game. Hughes seemed more willing to get physical with their more imposing defenders but overall it is clear he is not getting the space he had in league 2.

What I don't get about the comments saying the oppo are nullifying Pope with two big hairy defenders is - who is exploiting the gap that this must leave? If it takes two players to mark Popey out of the game, someone somewhere is unmarked and we ought to be making the most of that. Seems like Hughes is our best man at finding gaps, and our best chance of a goal at present. He is experienced at this level, and knows where to be in the box. And if Micky was worried about Colchester fielding 3 centre forwards before they played us, should we go with 3 as well in our next game? That will occupy at least 4 of their defenders, leaving Dodds to get a hat trick....

I'm just off to take my tablets.....

We are in a new league with much better players, we've only played a couple of games and fans are getting on Popeys back we need to give the lad more time to adjust and when he gets to grips with the situation I am sure Popeys will deliver,he isn't getting the best of service at the moment,if we play a defensive game like yesterday he won't score,come on mickey we need to go at teams not sit back, I would rather loose going forward than loose defending,keep your head up Popey it will happen.

We need to start Williamson with pope next week, he's strong and has pace.

id drop tomlin, his work rate is good but from what iv seen he's not been a threat, he runs his **** off but with no end product.

he cant win the flick ons frome pope or crosses from midfield whereas Williamson will stand a better chance

Don't think Adams comments regarding Pope helped him to regain any possible lost confidence. He must be feeling low and 'out of sorts' anyway the way the season has begun. For Adams to say that Pope has to step up maybe true but it is also true about himself. He too has a lot to prove at this level.

I can't comment on the Colchester game, but there were numerous quality crosses from Lines, Yates and Jones during the two home games, but nobody on the end of them, plus the added threat of Robbos long throws.

Sorry Spark but one has to disagree with the "quality crosses" point you make.

The service to Pope has been poor and unpredictable.

Pope isn't the quickest but will put his head on the line if and when a ball is delivered in to the right areas 'in the box'. We're not 'yet' getting behind and beyond defences so most of the balls to Pope come behind or down the middle at him.

He's also a confidence player, once we get a settled side and system he will undoubtedly weigh in with some goals..

It's a work in progress at the moment and as a club we are in such a better place than a year ago. So, if Vale turn out in numbers for Bradford, and get behind the team, we'll see if we can improve. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

........................................................................................................

"Bogie does the business... it's the Bogie Boogie and the Stokies are stunned!"

Pope will get between 10-15 goals this season provided Adams plays the right formation! I know he's trying to balance the team out this year because of tougher opposition but yesterday said to me nothing but negative tactics before the game. Think he needs to be a little braver away and go for it, that way Pope will benefit from this.

Sorry Spark but one has to disagree with the "quality crosses" point you make.

The service to Pope has been poor and unpredictable.

Pope isn't the quickest but will put his head on the line if and when a ball is delivered in to the right areas 'in the box'. We're not 'yet' getting behind and beyond defences so most of the balls to Pope come behind or down the middle at him.

He's also a confidence player, once we get a settled side and system he will undoubtedly weigh in with some goals..

It's a work in progress at the moment and as a club we are in such a better place than a year ago. So, if Vale turn out in numbers for Bradford, and get behind the team, we'll see if we can improve. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

........................................................................................................

"Bogie does the business... it's the Bogie Boogie and the Stokies are stunned!"

In our first two games we had 11 corners which were all excellent deliveries from Chris Lines, add to this the number of other deadball deliveries and crosses from Yates and Jones. There is plenty of service there for a forward on top of his game.

In our first two games we had 11 corners which were all excellent deliveries from Chris Lines, add to this the number of other deadball deliveries and crosses from Yates and Jones. There is plenty of service there for a forward on top of his game.

Given the situations you quote there are plenty of defenders there to stop them.... if we are going to rely on dead ball deliveries we could be in trouble

Archived