onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope

geosname

Im starting to feel a bit sorry for Tom. He seems to be getting a bit of stick from some for not doing what he did last season.

From what I have read he seems to be doing quite a bit more defending than attacking and when he is in a position to attack one of two things happens... He either gets marked out or he doesnt get fed with productive passes.

So here is one for Tom....

Many posters have referred to adams as "getting us up" last season... what would have happened if Pope hadnt been playing?... would we have got promotion?... would we have managed to get past half way?

At the start of the season many people commented about the positional palyers we needed to survive in this league, I dont think many mentioned strikers or front men but thats what seemed to be the priority... the positions most mentioned seemed more like an afterthought... it doesnt matter how many front men you have if the ball doesnt get past the halfway line.

Tom Pope... the right man in the right place at the right time for the right team... last season... he hasnt changed so what has?

Advert

Im starting to feel a bit sorry for Tom. He seems to be getting a bit of stick from some for not doing what he did last season.

From what I have read he seems to be doing quite a bit more defending than attacking and when he is in a position to attack one of two things happens... He either gets marked out or he doesnt get fed with productive passes.

So here is one for Tom....

Many posters have referred to adams as "getting us up" last season... what would have happened if Pope hadnt been playing?... would we have got promotion?... would we have managed to get past half way?

At the start of the season many people commented about the positional palyers we needed to survive in this league, I dont think many mentioned strikers or front men but thats what seemed to be the priority... the positions most mentioned seemed more like an afterthought... it doesnt matter how many front men you have if the ball doesnt get past the halfway line.

Tom Pope... the right man in the right place at the right time for the right team... last season... he hasnt changed so what has?

Better defenders, less service and I do think the injury he sustained to his arm has affected him.

We are not feeding him. Yesterday was a prime example, too defensive and not playing to our strengths. We need to attack teams....we are not good defending so without stating the obvious need to score to win.

Tom got us promoted last season and we need to get balls into the box for him (and others).

His goals started to dry up last season, when Adams unnecessarily messed around with a successful attacking force. He works well with either Dodds or Williamson. MA has only tolerated Dodds at the best of times. We saw the best of Pope when he teamed up with Rigg, before MA decided to bring "talisman" back. He then played unbelievably well till the new year, until MA tinkered again. Neither time was it bost, but he couldn't help himself.

Griff does what he's asked to do well, but creative he aint.

Winds me up when people use the "people don't notice his defensive play" or "works hard" or "not getting the service" excuse! It was the same with Richards when he was here.

The facts remain that Tom Pope is a striker and paid to score goals and he isn't doing that so far, I like pope as a player and he is a vale fan but he should not be wrapped in cotton wool from what he did last season.

Plenty of balls have been put in the box in the 3 games but popes either being marked out of it or not in the right position to get on the end of them.

As mentioned earlier I like pope but if he is to keep his shirt he needs to up his game.

I would stick tomlin on the wing and put Hughes up top to give the 2 centre halves a headache on who to focus on

He's not going to outpace many back 4's or go on mazy dribbles but what he will do is score goals from crosses providing the service is there. As yet the service hasn't been there.

The service HAS been there, it's just that Pope is now playing against quicker, stronger and smarter defenders. Don't forget that every decent manager will also have done their homework on how to nullify and frustrate Pope.

Perhaps we are seeing glimpses why there weren't too many serious offers for Pope from higher clubs last year.

I've got faith in Pope to get on the scoresheet, but he's got to change his game a little instead of expecting to out-muscle his marker every time the ball is thrown into the box.

Come on Popey be patient, keep working hard and the goals will come.

Plenty of balls have been put in the box in the 3 games but popes either being marked out of it or not in the right position to get on the end of them

I don't what games you've been watching but yesterday & v Brentford there was barely a cross directed in his direction which he could attack.

I don't what games you've been watching but yesterday & v Brentford there was barely a cross directed in his direction which he could attack.

I can't comment on the Colchester game, but there were numerous quality crosses from Lines, Yates and Jones during the two home games, but nobody on the end of them, plus the added threat of Robbos long throws.

Winds me up when people use the "people don't notice his defensive play" or "works hard" or "not getting the service" excuse! It was the same with Richards when he was here.

The facts remain that Tom Pope is a striker and paid to score goals and he isn't doing that so far, I like pope as a player and he is a vale fan but he should not be wrapped in cotton wool from what he did last season.

Plenty of balls have been put in the box in the 3 games but popes either being marked out of it or not in the right position to get on the end of them.

As mentioned earlier I like pope but if he is to keep his shirt he needs to up his game.

I would stick tomlin on the wing and put Hughes up top to give the 2 centre halves a headache on who to focus on

If you're older than 12, you are a clown.

Archived