onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Blown away?

geosname

Advert

To add to this. If feel that the current side as it stands pound for pound is a lot better than the Foyle teams, who had a bit of punch up front but very little else behind, mostly non-league quality. The Horton teams were built in the era on the back of an 8 year stay in the Championship, we were a much more attractive prospect then, who objective was simply seen as get out of the divison, very much similar to us in the last 5 years in L2. Eventhough we had a similar budget- if not smaller- then the onus was different. Now we've just come off the back of a 5 year stay in the basement division, it is universally held in the footballing world at the moment we are a club simply looking to stay in the division.

This is a image which it will take a few years of success to shake off. Taking this into account then the point is that these respective images determine what sort of player you can attract on the comparitive budgets. At the moment it would be very hard to attract a Championship player who's in and out of a Championship team, looking to bounce back to the division as a full on Champ player with us, without a huge fiscal benefit- very much like Hughes last season. A good example of the from the Horton era would be Brooker, who just couldn't get into Watford's team, but due to our recent Championship status saw us as a good bet to bounce back up and establish himself in our L1 team in the process. The realisation that this wasn't going to happen is probably what lead to his "parting shot" and move to Bristol City.

Taking this into account for a least a couple of years it will be tough to attract modern day equivalents of Brooker, it's the likes of Peterborough who will get players like that for the time being. For now our realistic targets are the cream of the division below, our current league, non-league and really young players from the leagues above. On this score I feel that Micky's getting the best players he can. I'm impressed so far personally.

Chris 84 and dave9, I'm sorry but the points you are attempting to make are quite frankly laughable. Please re-read what Jacko has posted and have a long hard think about what you want to say.

For the record Jacko, when was the last time you missed a Vale match (home or away)?

Yes, but we played most pf the 90s in what is now the Championship, backed by a number of years of progress, making profits on players and investing in players with previously unheard of transfer fees, so it's not surprising. Any comparisons should be with the early to mid eighties teams.

Not a comparison that I am in a position to make

Interesting as all this debate is, the important thing is not how our team compares with Vale teams of old but how they compare with other league 1 teams of present. They are the ones we need to compete with.

Which is why it's useful and possible to compare us to L1 team that we played against last season..we can't compare us to L1 team that we haven't played

To add to this. If feel that the current side as it stands pound for pound is a lot better than the Foyle teams, who had a bit of punch up front but very little else behind, mostly non-league quality. The Horton teams were built in the era on the back of an 8 year stay in the Championship, we were a much more attractive prospect then, who objective was simply seen as get out of the divison, very much similar to us in the last 5 years in L2. Eventhough we had a similar budget- if not smaller- then the onus was different. Now we've just come off the back of a 5 year stay in the basement division, it is universally held in the footballing world at the moment we are a club simply looking to stay in the division.

top post and totally agree:yes:

This is a image which it will take a few years of success to shake off. Taking this into account then the point is that these respective images determine what sort of player you can attract on the comparitive budgets. At the moment it would be very hard to attract a Championship player who's in and out of a Championship team, looking to bounce back to the division as a full on Champ player with us, without a huge fiscal benefit- very much like Hughes last season. A good example of the from the Horton era would be Brooker, who just couldn't get into Watford's team, but due to our recent Championship status saw us as a good bet to bounce back up and establish himself in our L1 team in the process. The realisation that this wasn't going to happen is probably what lead to his "parting shot" and move to Bristol City.

Taking this into account for a least a couple of years it will be tough to attract modern day equivalents of Brooker, it's the likes of Peterborough who will get players like that for the time being. For now our realistic targets are the cream of the division below, our current league, non-league and really young players from the leagues above. On this score I feel that Micky's getting the best players he can. I'm impressed so far personally.

She missed the 2009 home victory against Darlington. The battery went on her Stannah Stairlift and she was stranded until after the final whistle.......................

(only kidding Jacko) :D

There was no need for the last bit in parenthesis, TP. I never take anything you say seriously. :razz:

:) still more to come out of the sweetie jar yet which will blow our minds :) me hopes

The more hopes are built up, the more chance of disappointment! Personally, I hope that Norman keeps working away in the background and allows announcements to come out when deals/plans are finalised rather dangle too many 'carrots' that may or may not come to fruition. But I have to agree with the sentiments that applaud all the ongoing changes--how refreshing!

Some interesting debates on this thread.

For one there is certainly no comparison in Naylor or McPhee imo. Naylor by a country mile, he was part of arguably our best ever side(I didn't see the 50s team) 90s and did it at a higher level and for a lot longer than McPhee ever did(in his career not just at Vale).

That said McPhee and Brooker formed probably the classiest partnership I've seen since our fall from the Championship at times they were class for a League One side. I honestly thought both had the potential and ability to play higher(ie championship) as did MBW but for whatever reason it just didn't happen for 3 or 4 of that 03/04 side after they left Vale. Injuries for Brooker and McPhee perhaps and bad career moves in Bridge Wilkinson's case. It's strange but Billy Paynter is the only one who has gone on to have anything like a steady career from the sides we had around that time.

Ian Armstrong I thought did a great job for us for 3 or 4 seasons, scored some picture book goals, his problem was he had no stamina and couldn't last 90 minutes which was always going to catch up with him as professional footballer eventually. He definately had some natural ability though!

Is Pope better than McPhee, he can be. It will be interesting to see how he does this coming season before judgements are made on that imo! He's certainly shown a lot more loyalty to the club though as Jean says which shouldn't be sniffed at in modern football.

Archived