Skip to content

10 Comments

1. Rich
    16th May 2024 @ 12:47 pm

Good summary overall. Perhaps a tad harsh on Butterworth as a “failure” he did well for me but by the same token I didn’t rate Donnelly so ultimately the total would add up to the same.
    I thought Walker and Martin were decent squad players in League Two as well so wouldn’t necessarily say they were in the failure column either.
    Whatever is said though it’s clear the recruitment started off ok in League Two under Flitcroft and gradually got worse after we’d gone up a league, of that I think we can all agree.

2. Rob Fielding
    16th May 2024 @ 1:31 pm

Thanks for the comment Rich. I would agree with your points on Walker and Martin. I deliberately tried to make it “difficult” for myself by having one word summaries and labelled as only success or failure. That did mean I had to ponder certain players’ summaries before landing on one side or the other. It was also surprisingly difficult to sum up some players in just one word.

3. Jacko51
    16th May 2024 @ 1:40 pm

A decent level of recruitment is 7 successes out of every 10 signed. Flitcroft’s record, particularly last season, was nowhere near that. His departure was the absolutely correct decision.

4. Christopher Lawton
    16th May 2024 @ 2:54 pm

Ripley
    Impact (hit and miss)
    In a word ( to many goals against)
    Success/failure (failure)
    I know it sounds harsh but we have consided a large number off goals due to him constantly kicking the ball to the opposition and his positioning

5. RON
    16th May 2024 @ 4:35 pm

Pity much spot on as with all fans some will agree others will disagree I just hope it is a costly lesson learned and hope everyone involved in those signings are not having a say in who we sign this time unfortunately we are stuck with quite a few of the failures some of them we won’t be able to move on because nobody other than none lge will want them but fingers crossed we know what we are doing this time

6. Cookie
    16th May 2024 @ 8:15 pm

Enjoyed reading article. Agree with the vast majority. My only questionable comments regards Ojo. He was playing like 7/10 alongside Ollie and Alfie but after they left and he was injured came back more of a 2/10 and that’s me being generous. A supposed leader on the pitch his performances and attitude atrocious. Thus is just my opinion and everyone can judge for themselves. My hope is that by playing in league 2 with the right recruitment alongside he can be that 6/7 out of 10 each week. Final comment re Ethan Chislet you don’t know what you’re getting from game to game as I’ve said previously a poor Louis Dodds. Just my view. Role on new season I’ve a feeling it’s going to be rock n roll.VTID

7. Jake Barker
    16th May 2024 @ 11:15 pm

Agree with them all apart from Aaron Martin. I thought he was really good second half of the season. Put in some excellent performances away at Salford and Exeter as well as scoring a late winner at Barrow. Was probably never going to be good enough to step up to league 1 at his age so it was right for him to leave but he did a good job for us.

8. Ken Grocott
    17th May 2024 @ 5:19 pm

Agreed on pretty much all of that, and it was pretty hard reading! It is a pretty strong condemnation of the recruitment, and why we have dropped back in to League 2. We need some serious consideration from now on of the fitness and mentality of the players made available this summer. Too many on this list have taken a wage without putting much back in, and cannot afford that as a club. We need to buy in fit players who can do it at this level, not physio room chancers whose best days are behind them. And strikers please, even if it does mean spending a bit more – we need to offer a threat going forward, which has been rare this last 18 months.

9. Valiant Steve
    17th May 2024 @ 9:17 pm

The only one I’d disagree with is Butterworth. I think if we’d signed him permanently instead of re-signing Wilson, he would have had a far greater impact at VP. I rated him, he clearly had quality and age was certainly on his side!

10. David Brown
    17th May 2024 @ 10:44 pm

Very accurate and interesting summary. I consider Josh Thomas unlucky not to have played more matches. For me, he looked a very useful front man. Unstinting effort with bags of pace, and a decent finisher. Player with potential who I would look to sign.