Time at club: 1986-1992
Mark Grew player profile:
Goalkeeper Mark Grew was associated with the club for over 25 years as a player and coach. He originally joined the club in 1988 on a free transfer from Ipswich Town but he suffered a serious injury in just his second game. Nevertheless Grew battled back to regain his place in the side and voted player of the year in 1988-89 and again in 1991-92.
The keeper also played a key role in the 1988-89 promotion season with team mate Robbie Earle commenting that Grew was “a fine keeper who also brought professionalism and experience from his time at Ipswich and West Bromwich Albion. I’m not sure who gave him the title, but he quickly became John Rudge’s voice of reason in the dressing room. Never short of something to say, he changed the whole culture of the club.”
However, after a spell on loan at Blackburn Rovers in 1990, he left to join Cardiff City in 1992 and hung up his playing boots in 1995.
After retiring, Grew has had a long association with the club as a coach including three spells as caretaker manager.
Mark Grew images:
More on Mark Grew:
- Ultimate Port Vale XI subs: the sub goalkeeper
- Ultimate Port Vale XI: The goalkeeper
- Port Vale announce Dave Timmins as new goalkeeping coach
- 1980s: Darren Beckford and Ron Futcher to the fore
- A (video) tribute to Mark Grew
- Page set to replace coaching pair
- Grew to leave Port Vale
- Mark Grew
- Grew: Safety first for Vale...
- Sentinel: Vale aim for two more signings
- Port Vale eye non-league forward
- Vale stalwart Grew gets testimonial
- Page made assistant manager
- Vale set for coaching reshuffle
- Grew: summer tour is important
- Vale's defence down to the bare bones
- Neal injury boost for Vale?
- Grew: there could be changes
- Keeper ruled out for season?
- Grew: no crisis at Vale
- Wolves fan Grew eyes Vale victory
- Duffy in contention for Wolves game
- Double doubt for Vale
- Grew: it won't be an easy game
- Grew praises Knott's contribution
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: