Time at club: 2013-2016
A reliable keeper signed from Shrewsbury and who was ever-present in the league during Vale’s 2012-13 promotion campaign.
He was deservedly named as the players player of the year in 2013 and continued as first-choice in 2013-14 until he picked up an wrist injury in November. He was again voted the club’s players player of the year and signed a new two-year contract in the summer of 2013.
Neal returned to the first-team in September 2014 and continued as the club’s first-choice during the 2014-15 season.
He was injured in the summer of 2015 and subsequently lost his place to new signing Jak Alnwick. After a spell on loan to Doncaster Rovers in February 2016, Neal made his first start of the 2015-16 season in the game against Sheffield United when Alnwick was injured in training.
However, when Alnwick returned, Neal departed for a second loan spell – this time to Bury until the end of the season and with Alnwick the established first-choice, Neal was released in the summer of 2016.
- Former Valiants: Chris Neal and Tom Anderson move on
- Retained lists: former Vale keeper and former target set for exit
- Ultimate Port Vale XI subs: the sub goalkeeper
- Ultimate Port Vale XI: The goalkeeper
- Two minute guide to: Fleetwood v Port Vale
- Jak Alnwick: Chris Neal was a massive influence on my career
- Two minute guide: Port Vale v Fleetwood
- What becomes of the Vale departed?
- Fleetwood sign former Vale keeper Chris Neal
- Departing Chris Neal wishes Vale all the best
- Rob Page explains Chris Neal's release
- Neal and McGivern are released by Port Vale
- Loanwatch: Wembley and relegation for Johnson
- Chris Neal wants Bury move
- Team News: Alnwick out, Inniss in the squad
- Vale await Alnwick injury assessment
- Team News: Neal replaces injured Alnwick
- Page happy for Neal to extend loan, Kennedy wants to stay longer
- Frustrated Neal "needs to play some games"
- Port Vale loan out goalkeeper Chris Neal
- Neal and Hooper play for Vale Reserves
- Neal injury boost for Vale
- Vale unsure over extent of Chris Neal's ankle injury
- Blow for Vale as Neal awaits scan results
- Chris Neal
[box style=”light-gray rounded” ]
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: