New twist as Port Vale players reject new deals

Port Vale’s chaotic summer continued after the players announced that they are seeking advice from the PFA before considering new contracts from the club’s administrators.

Bob Young told the Sentinel that he was offering the squad their original contract terms (they had been on rolling contracts) after a request by manager Micky Adams, who felt the added security would boost morale.

Young said he expected the squad to sign the contracts on Wednesday but that has proved to be wide of the mark.

A statement on the official website claims that although the “last thing they want to do is cause trouble” the players have doubts about the legality of the new deals, concerns that new owners could declare them void and want to “err on the side of caution.”

This news is a further blow to Vale as the current rolling contracts would allow rival clubs to try and entice the better performers away from Burslem.

Eighteen of Vale’s squad agreed contracts over the summer. The only players who were already contracted long-term to the club prior to that are Sam Morsy, Adam Yates, Doug Loft, Gareth Owen and Ryan Burge.

Please share this on:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •