Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator Admin team

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

As a minimum grind out a point, but preferably set out positively and go for a win. Time to assess the new lads and the performance and fitness of the others, by the football management. Whether the weather will affect preparation, and the hopefully firmer state of the away pitch are unknowns, but more energy and cohesion are required. Another slight shuffle preferable to keeping the same team that finished, in order to improve our scoring chances, I wish I knew how.

2. Poster thanked by

3. Advert Advert

Well what do we do now we have generally not created much at all lately .
    Id try this system
    Lainton
    Raglan Smith Howe
    Worrall Ton Han Whitfield Pugh
    Barnett Pope
    Or alternative to Barnett Hoskins as we need a bigger presence than Pope up there then the ball might drop for the likes of Whitfield Hannant Harness thenthey can flourish .
    My system allows Worrall and Pugh to get forwards and deliver quality into Pope and Barnett or Hoskins (ok he is a centre half but we need make things happen in the oppositions box .
    UTV and yes im deadly serious

Sent from my [device_name] using the onevalefan mobile app

Need to start the game with 10 outfield players.

Need to look tactically as though we want to actually win a game, not set up to bore the pants off us all in the hope we can snatch a point. We also need to select only players who really want to wear the shirt. Wonder if there is a faint hope that on the lead up to the game some actual thought is put into training to gel the squad together that they may start playing as a team together ? I'll be there to witness hopefully something to shout about and allow us to have confidence restored. Big ask I know.

Sent from my [device_name] using the onevalefan mobile app

Based on how we've started games recently and then had to change formation in the second half I'd go with the second half side from Saturday. Purely because that side has the energy down the flanks in Hannant, Gibbons, Worrall and it also gives Pope someone up front with him and I think Forresters hold up play is excellent to bring others in to the game. But also we need to play like that second half side did, driving forward more and taking the game to them.

Lainton

Gibbons
    Raglan
    Smith
    Pugh

Worrall
    Kay
    Tonge
    Hannant

Forrester
    Pope

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by PV1973 View Post
    Based on how we've started games recently and then had to change formation in the second half I'd go with the second half side from Saturday. Purely because that side has the energy down the flanks in Hannant, Gibbons, Worrall and it also gives Pope someone up front with him and I think Forresters hold up play is excellent to bring others in to the game. But also we need to play like that second half side did, driving forward more and taking the game to them.

Lainton

Gibbons
    Raglan
    Smith
    Pugh

Worrall
    Kay
    Tonge
    Hannant

Forrester
    Pope
    If we're going for energy & driving forward, a CM pairing of Kay & Tonge is not going to help. I'd go 4-1-3-2, Kay in front of the defence & Worrall/Whitfield/Hannant as the midfield, Whitfield sitting in just behind Pope/Forrester.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    If we're going for energy & driving forward, a CM pairing of Kay & Tonge is not going to help. I'd go 4-1-3-2, Kay in front of the defence & Worrall/Whitfield/Hannant as the midfield, Whitfield sitting in just behind Pope/Forrester.
    I know what you mean, I meant more energy down the flanks that produces.

We've started the last few games with one up front and it hasn't worked, Accrington was the exception but we left it too long to change it when they got back in to the game. I just feel that to start a game with 2 up front and Whitfield could leave us a bit more exposed. I think he would be a better option to bring on later to stretch the game if need be.
    Last edited by PV1973; 05-02-18 at 02:39 PM.

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by PV1973 View Post
    I know what you mean, I meant more energy down the flanks that produces.

We've started the last few games with one up front and it hasn't worked, Accrington was the exception but we left it too long to change it when they got back in to the game. I just feel that to start a game with 2 up front and Whitfield could leave us a bit more exposed. I think he would be a better option to bring on later to stretch the game if need be.
    Yeah, the reason I think 4-1-3-2 would be that we played some of our best football this season with Whitfield sitting directly behind Pope, & Kay has also done well in a holding role in front of the back 4 (e.g at Exeter).

Unfortunately I agree Pugh is the better option over Jules (I'd prefer neither, but we have few others). May as well keep Lainton in, was a lot better than he was against Colchester.

11. Poster thanked by

I guess we'd all pick a slightly different team and to a degree it depends on how Cheltenham play.
    One thing is for sure: we need to get support around Pope because he gave them a torrid time at Vale Park as their manager Johnson noted.

I'd revert back to Whitfield and Harness buzzing around Pope. Kay in front of the same back four that finished at the weekend (though Gibbons couldn't complain if he was dropped for Davis). Worrall and Hannant trying to keep wide and supporting their respective full backs.

Away from home we need to be solid and to keep it tight for as long as possible. But, for me, the crucial thing is to give Pope a lot more support if we can, to push up whenever possible and condense the play.

Normally a game I would go to but 50/50 at the moment as so dispirited to what Port Vale have become.

Another defeat here.

15. Advert Advert

FREE Prediction Leagues
We have three Predictions League that are FREE to play. They are hosted by our friends at Stats FC and you’ll need to register (for free) with them to play. Links to the three leagues are below:

League Two
Premier League
Champions League

sponsored by:

VALIANT WINDOW CLEANING SERVICE
Contract/domestic work undertaken.
Can clean upto 60ft
Call/text Adam on 0774 2916 242
Email: adamfozzer@hotmail.co.uk

On this day...

From the frontpage
Advert

This site is a sports website and does contain occasional adverts and features about gambling. If you require help and advice on gambling we recommend these links: Information on protecting young people | Addiction help from gambleaware.co.uk
OVF backs the Port Vale Supporters Club and Valiants against Racism. We support the Football Supporters Federation, Show Racism the Red Card and Football vs Homophobia organisations. We donate to chosen charities the Donna Louise Trust and the Douglas MacMillan Hospice. OVF deplores discrimination and violence. We use cookies to enhance your experience | Cookie and Privacy policy
Content and images (c) onevalefan.co.uk unless stated