onevalefan.co.ukonevalefan.co.uk
Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

January Transfer Window

I know this is maybe a touch early, but it does madden me when clubs that need players leave it until the last minute in January to complete business.

I think we are all aware that January is going to be a critical month for our club, and hopefully Norman follows up the good work of the recent appointments by supporting Aspo in his endeavours to not only strengthen the squad, but also get the balance right too.

My question is, who needs to go from the squad and what realistic targets should we be looking at. I suppose Aspo has his eye on some lower league players, but is there any other players that spring to mind that we could get hold of / try to sign?

Please lets not let this thread get into slagging off current players, personally I blame Mr Brown for signing some of them and I dont hold any grudge against the ones whom clearly arent up to pro level.

Anyway, lets have some constructive discussion and who knows a player or two might get mentioned that the management hadnt spotted, or thought of.

2. Advert

Quote Originally Posted by upthevale View Post
    I know this is maybe a touch early, but it does madden me when clubs that need players leave it until the last minute in January to complete business.

I think we are all aware that January is going to be a critical month for our club, and hopefully Norman follows up the good work of the recent appointments by supporting Aspo in his endeavours to not only strengthen the squad, but also get the balance right too.

My question is, who needs to go from the squad and what realistic targets should we be looking at. I suppose Aspo has his eye on some lower league players, but is there any other players that spring to mind that we could get hold of / try to sign?

Please lets not let this thread get into slagging off current players, personally I blame Mr Brown for signing some of them and I dont hold any grudge against the ones whom clearly arent up to pro level.

Anyway, lets have some constructive discussion and who knows a player or two might get mentioned that the management hadnt spotted, or thought of.
    I think a lot of the time the reason why so many deals are completed at the end of January is not necessarily the Club 'leaving it until the last minute' but, rather, players and their agents holding out until the last moment to see if they can get a better deal elsewhere. Nature of the game nowadays.

We definitely need mobile and busy central midfielders, and possibly a winger who can actually run at people, take them on, and deliver a quality ball. Far too often this season the ball from out wide has failed to clear the first man or been poor.

In an ideal world we're perhaps short of 5-6 better players but I doubt that will happen all at once in January, with such a big squad.

The goalkeeping position needs thinking about carefully.
    Though they have done ok at times the back four collectively isn't quite right. Gunning has been decent but is he really mobile enough for a left back?
    We need a midfield destroyer like Grant or Griffith - someone better than Pugh or Tonge or Kay.
    We need a couple of creative goalscorers in midfield, though I hope we can extend Whitfield's loan.
    A quick partner for Pope.

That's a lengthy shopping list but you would hope that Neil, Sir John and the staff can be trusted to try and put things right.

No matter how much effort the players put in the Table does not lie and the team needs major surgery to get anywhere near the top of the Table in the future.

I suppose we are all hoping that the staff's collective knowledge of the National League might lead us to 2-3 eager lads who are keen to have a bash at league football.

5. Poster thanked by

Norman will be buoyed by Aspin and Rudges' success so far and has already engineered himself back into the day to day running of the club, appearing at home games with his Vale tie on acting like he never left. He will be happy to spend in January to reinforce the idea in his head that he is the white knight saviour of the club who saved it from the brink of relegation. In my view, after being the reason we were relegated, funding a return to L1 at a personal loss is the least he can do but that's beside the point.

The point is, despite any ambition on his part to spend, we are still bound by FL FPP regulations.

To bring more in, several have to be fcuked off. Simple as that.

Wholesale change is dangerous in our situation but it's something I see Aspin being able to successfully manage.

For me, I would axe the following -

Hornby/Roos/Evtimov

Wilson

Pugh/Tonge/Stobbs/Middleton

Pyke

And have a serious think about whether Harness is really ready yet or at this stage are we just carrying him when we're a few points off the relegation spots and don't have that luxury.

In replacement, we obviously desperately need an out and out number 1 keeper. Taking Chris Neal off Fleetwood reserves manager's hands could be mutually beneficial.

A left side wing back.

Ideally a centre-half to replace Anderson in certain games; I don't think he is capable of matching the sides in this league who will attack with pace and playing the offside trap rather than hoofing the ball.

A CM who isn't drawing a pension like the current ones.

An out and out right winger. Can Regis play there?

Out and out mobile forward with experience. I'm not sure if it's fair on Dan Turner to expect too much of him at a very early stage of his career. I've been really impressed with Forrester since his return, he holds the ball up excellently and has a great turn on him but he's a bit too similar to Pope. We need a player capable of delivering plan B who doesn't play with his back to goal.
    Last edited by Doha; 23-11-17 at 10:56 AM.

7. Poster thanked by

Spent some time with a pro footballer last week.

He has offers on the table from Derby, Sheff United and two other championship clubs.

Clubs are already doing their business so its not too early to do business.

We could do with knowing sooner rather than later if Preston are flogging Hugill. That with will determine what we can and can't do in the window. As will, to a lesser extent, the Yeovil game and a possible third round draw.

The club cannot afford to get another window as badly wrong as it did with the last three.

Quote Originally Posted by Doha View Post
    Norman will be buoyed by Aspin and Rudges' success so far and has already engineered himself back into the day to day running of the club, appearing at home games with his Vale tie on acting like he never left. He will be happy to spend in January to reinforce the idea in his head that he is the white knight saviour of the club who saved it from the brink of relegation. In my view, after being the reason we were relegated, funding a return to L1 at a personal loss is the least he can do but that's beside the point.

The point is, despite any ambition on his part to spend, we are still bound by FL FPP regulations.

To bring more in, several have to be fcuked off. Simple as that.

Wholesale change is dangerous in our situation but it's something I see Aspin being able to successfully manage.

For me, I would axe the following -

Hornby/Roos/Evtimov

Wilson

Pugh/Tonge/Stobbs/Middleton

Pyke

And have a serious think about whether Harness is really ready yet or at this stage are we just carrying him when we're a few points off the relegation spots and don't have that luxury.

In replacement, we obviously desperately need an out and out number 1 keeper. Taking Chris Neal off Fleetwood reserves manager's hands could be mutually beneficial.

A left side wing back.

Ideally a centre-half to replace Anderson in certain games; I don't think he is capable of matching the sides in this league who will attack with pace and playing the offside trap rather than hoofing the ball.

A CM who isn't drawing a pension like the current ones.

An out and out right winger. Can Regis play there?

Out and out mobile forward with experience. I'm not sure if it's fair on Dan Turner to expect too much of him at a very early stage of his career. I've been really impressed with Forrester since his return, he holds the ball up excellently and has a great turn on him but he's a bit too similar to Pope. We need a player capable of delivering plan B who doesn't play with his back to goal.
    The two emergency loan keepers have gone haven't they? They were only on week to week loan deals until Hornby was fit again.

Thank Christ.

We've had far too much player turnover in the past 2-3 years, so we should be really careful here - especially in January. That being said we do need to make some changes...

Of the loan players, I'd say Stobbs, Pyke, and maybe Harness could be sacrificed. The first two have shown nothing, and not been trusted by the management team very much at all. Harness has played almost every game but, as has been indicated on another thread, he hasn't done much and I feel we should try to find someone a bit more creative. You could even add Denton to this but I think he has something to offer. Either way, that opens up 2-3 loan options for Aspin to bring in who he wants.

We also potentially need to move a few players on as the squad is far too big, and Aspin already mentioned that isn't what he likes. High earners such as Barnett, Tonge and Wilson who are not getting games should be released. This could even include Lainton if he's not going to stay fit.

Similarly, young lads who aren't particularly involved should be sent out on loan - Reeves, Turner, Kelly etc. would benefit far more by playing every week in the league below.

As much as there are players in the first team who I don't particularly rate - Pugh for example - it doesn't make sense to make drastic changes to a side that is gelling at the minute. Let the first team gel and add quality to it until the end of the season.

As for bringing players in I would be after a keeper (depending on Lainton), and some centre mids. Maybe a left back to call our own.

13. Poster thanked by

14. Advert