Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
    You know exactly what we're on about.

He's derided on here for his ability, but I was at the Accrington game when Exodus was racially abused. I heard it. I watched a man racially abuse him. People hate him on here for some bizarre 'false accusation' mentality, but as a Vale fan in the away end, I heard, saw, and was reviled by the racist language used by Vale fans that day. Very, very nearly packed it in.

Bradford games; the obvious Asian comments aside, we got into hot water due to the use of the horrendous 'p' word, "a town full of...." (apologies for typing such horrific things, this needs to get through t some fans). We were warned by the FA for this. I was at the game, I heard it, I was disgusted.

There was the national headlines and full police investigation into the abuse of Armand Gnaduillet a few years back; I have no idea if anyone was convicted, but having heard the language used by Vale fans, its no surprise at all.

I remember at a Supporters Club meeting at the end of this season just gone; packed out, we'd just been relegated, Garlick was there. A very eloquent member of the North London Valiants pointed out, correctly, that we have such a narrow fanbase of white men aged 20-50, and that there is little to no efforts to engage ethnic minorities of the area. This is anecdotal, but I was not shocked to see a group of 6 white men, aged 20-50, look as if the NLV bloke had defecated himself, and vigorously shook their heads at such a notion that Vale could have Asian fans. No proof of this obviously, but I was there, I saw it.

This is only a small minority, but it happens, and a far larger rate than what it should do. It should never happen. I accept the Gnanduillet and Supporters Club incidents aren't verifiable, but the Bradford chants, the Exodus incident all paint a wider narrative; Vale has an issue with racism within a small section of its fanbase. Possibly, on the face of it, Smurf was right; I very much doubt JFH would have incurred racist abuse, but we have a reputation.

Its saddening; Stoke is a diverse city ethnically, and we should be tempting ethnic minorities down to the Vale. Unfortunately, I would not wish the remedial attitudes of some members of our fanbase to be experienced by Asian/Black people from Stoke.

Maybe take your fingers out of your ears, and maybe then the silence won't be as deafening.
    It's not really a decent argument to use incidents from 4/5 years ago as being indicative of an ongoing problem.

As regards the diversity (or lack of it) in our fanbase, I think this could be addressed in a few ways. I'd like to see a match chosen as a Community Day with the club pulling out all the stops to fill as many seats (or standing spaces in my case) with people from within 1-2 miles of the ground. With sufficient planning and peripheral entertainments laid on, there's no good reason not to try this.

Unfortunately I feel that Norman lacks the vision or desire to embrace this kind of venture.

2. Advert

Quote Originally Posted by Davo666 View Post
    Lol.... We'll be lucky to get Three points from those games !!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using the onevalefan mobile app
    6 from 6....3 to go ;-)

4. Advert