onevalefan.co.ukonevalefan.co.uk
Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

donate nowOVF needs you! Our server costs are increasing and advert revenue decreasing. If you like this website and can help spare a donation please click here now

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Is Browny tactically naive ?

After the 1st 2 games and backend of last season has Brown got the tactical nous to get us out of L2 ⚽️

Sent from my SM-G950F using the onevalefan mobile app

2. Advert

Certainly seems that way!

Twist it on its head...any examples where he has shown tactical nous?

Could be but jury's out for a few more games I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

It's an interesting debate but perhaps a bit early in the campaign to be over critical.

Last season I think he was hampered by injuries and not having an energetic squad, which meant on occasions playing an extra midfielder to protect the team, leaving us with one isolated striker. Our full backs were quite poor as well and that might have been a further consideration - to try and protect them, especially away from home.

He professes to favour a team on the front foot and I guess 4.4.2 would be his preferred option but we never seem to have the right players, all fit, who can play this way.
    Harness seems not to offer much defensively. Wilson has been poor. We've only just, after all summer, got a left back. And we have a couple of oldies in central midfield.
    We still miss the energy of a lad like Guy and the quality on the ball of an Eagles or a Dodds.
    I don't think the balance of the team is right and it really should be by now.
    But let's hold fire and see where we are after ten league games when the pattern for the season is clearer.

Blimey, with all his experience and that of Kelly and Morgan, they should know a thing or two about tactics, along with Kay, Pugh, Pope etc so there can't be any shortage of knowledge I wouldn't have thought.

7. Poster thanked by

I'd like to know how many managers achieve a promotion in their first full season in charge - I'm guessing very few.

Browny can only gain experience by learning and making mistakes along the way, just like in any other job. The problem is, we don't really have the time to spare to let him have 3/4 seasons learning his trade.

Having said that, I hope no-one doubts his efforts and commitment to the job. I doubt he needs the money but he's clearly a grafter - and not all managers would engage with the fans with initiatives like the pub tour and the Fans Forum nights. He deserves a full season in my mind. If he can get us straight up then that would be a top job done.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    I'd like to know how many managers achieve a promotion in their first full season in charge - I'm guessing very few.

Browny can only gain experience by learning and making mistakes along the way, just like in any other job. The problem is, we don't really have the time to spare to let him have 3/4 seasons learning his trade.

Having said that, I hope no-one doubts his efforts and commitment to the job. I doubt he needs the money but he's clearly a grafter - and not all managers would engage with the fans with initiatives like the pub tour and the Fans Forum nights. He deserves a full season in my mind. If he can get us straight up then that would be a top job done.
    Why don't we have time to spare to let him have 3/4 seasons learning his trade?

In my opinion he has this season to show if he can hack it as a manager with his signings and if he can learn how to change games tactically.

The Vale have been in existence since 1876 and will be going for a long time (hopefully without Scumthwaite)and I for one would love to see a manager given time to be able to have a long term vision and give us stability to enable him to achieve his goals which would be the same as our goals for the club I am sure. Giving Rudgie time did not do too badly did it?

10. Poster thanked by

My over-riding feeling is that he can set a team up (not always correctly as Saturday showed) but is severely lacking in the ability to think on his feet during the match. It took him far too long to respond to changes in the match at Crawley (easily could've drawn or lost that game from a commanding position thanks to negative tactics) and again at Leeds, kept them quiet to begin with but didn't have the tactical know-how to stop them eventually over running us.

And there's no getting away from the fact that we scored once in 7 matches at the end of last season (and that was a screamer). I don't care about personnel, the man in charge has to take some flack for that. One goal in over 600 minutes of football when we're supposed to fighting to stay up was truly abysmal.

12. Poster thanked by

From the evidence to date the answer has to ne a resounding 'no' in my opinion. The biggest issue for me is that he seems to wait too long to alter the way a game is going either by waiting to make substitutions and not reacting tactally to what is happening on the pitch.

But hey what do I know!

14. Advert