onevalefan.co.ukonevalefan.co.uk
Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

donate nowOVF needs you! Our server costs are increasing and advert revenue decreasing. If you like this website and can help spare a donation please click here now

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    It's no coincidence that the atmosphere in a ground with lots of terracing was better than morgues like The Bescot, Coventry and sometimes Vale Park.

A noisy home end like Rovers have is probably worth plenty of goals over a season.

If you're gonna get beat, I'd rather see it at that sort of ground!
    It also makes a difference with 8000 home fans!!!

2. Advert

Quote Originally Posted by Beechy View Post
    He got a goal on Saturday but Patersen isn't and will never be the answer. He's not quick, doesn't hold the ball up well enough and isn't good in the air. Other than working hard I really don't see what he can offer a side, particularly one that has aspirations of getting out of the league. When is Forrester back, surely his comeback is imminent?

I also think it's time to give Tavares a rest, and bring in Amoros for a couple of games. Either that or drop Foley back alongside Grant and bring Shalaj in from the start. Tavares is good on the ball but off it he leaves something to be desired, and I think the games coming thick and fast while adapting to the pace of the game over here is catching up with him a bit.
    Also what's the deal with Hooper he's having next to no game time at Northampton as he fell out with Bruno due to him playing out wide? I like JJ hopefully we haven't seen the last of him but it's strange he's gone there to sit on a bench

Quote Originally Posted by filbobaggins View Post
    Are you joking???? I have never been to a weekend away game that was so flat-don't think I heard 1 song in 90mins (by either set of fans tbh). I was excited when I read the away end was standing as I thought in general this encourages a boyant following...but not so (in part due top the location of it in the corner and splitting the following into 2 sections (seats/standing) I imagine) and in no way can you describe the game one with 'good atmosphere' poor game poor atmosphere....we go again ;-p
    Completely agree, thought it was worse than Swindon and that was pretty much none existent!
    Last edited by Robbie Earle's Perm; 26-09-16 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Staffordvaliant84 View Post
    Also what's the deal with Hooper he's having next to no game time at Northampton as he fell out with Bruno due to him playing out wide? I like JJ hopefully we haven't seen the last of him but it's strange he's gone there to sit on a bench
    He's pretty stoopid if he didn't realise that's what Page all too regularly does. He must be the worst utiliser of the loan system in the EFL!

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by Staffordvaliant84 View Post
    May have to wait until he comes back to find out what he was promised at the Cobblers? I would have expected him to have a few games, despite them having a successful team from last season, who came up at a canter.

Have had a few days to think about the performance and it's a tough one to call. We did dominate the first half but created very little. A lot of the time that was due to the game being slowed at the wrong times by wrong decisions by midfielders usually. Tavares is one that looks to often to go backward to keep possession rather than really get his head up and push on. Thomas and Jones were completely ineffective but again you have to look at where they were receiving the ball or whether anyone was looking to find them quick enough. This seemed to have a knock on effect for Paterson who was very isolated once again. He works hard and tries his best but needs support.

At the back we looked relatively comfortable but there is something not going well tactically at full back on one side and something rather off on the other. Knops for me has been one of our stand out performers so far. In an unfamiliar position he's battled away well and looks very solid, however when it comes to going forward he can't really do much more than try and channel a few balls down the line and play it short inside. For Thomas to really be effective the full back needs to help drag men away from him with more overlapping runs and this isn't in Knops game. On the other side Purkiss doesn't look a good player at the moment in my opinion. I don't know whether there is a lack of confidence in him since his spat with Bruno but he looks way off last season's Mr Reliable. He doesn't get forward well, panics on the ball too often and looks a bit of a liability at times. Whether not having a proper winger in front of him is not helping could be an issue though.

Second half we fell apart. I said at the time when Grant plays bad we do and that summed it up perfectly because he was awful. Usually Grant looks so comfortable in possession but he didn't second half at all. When we went 4-4-2 Pereira came alive for a few minutes and then was subbed but it really didn't make a difference. Cecilia with a touch of fortune could have nicked an equaliser but it would have been undeserved as we rarely played any form of football deserving of a result.

It was a bad day at the office as we rarely tried to do the right things but a recall for Amoros would help a lot in my opinion with his energy and intent on moving the ball quick as well as holding the shape better. Go from there and we can only get better. Long way to go for this side yet and we will improve and be more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenement Funster View Post
    Have had a few days to think about the performance and it's a tough one to call. We did dominate the first half but created very little. A lot of the time that was due to the game being slowed at the wrong times by wrong decisions by midfielders usually. Tavares is one that looks to often to go backward to keep possession rather than really get his head up and push on. Thomas and Jones were completely ineffective but again you have to look at where they were receiving the ball or whether anyone was looking to find them quick enough. This seemed to have a knock on effect for Paterson who was very isolated once again. He works hard and tries his best but needs support.

At the back we looked relatively comfortable but there is something not going well tactically at full back on one side and something rather off on the other. Knops for me has been one of our stand out performers so far. In an unfamiliar position he's battled away well and looks very solid, however when it comes to going forward he can't really do much more than try and channel a few balls down the line and play it short inside. For Thomas to really be effective the full back needs to help drag men away from him with more overlapping runs and this isn't in Knops game. On the other side Purkiss doesn't look a good player at the moment in my opinion. I don't know whether there is a lack of confidence in him since his spat with Bruno but he looks way off last season's Mr Reliable. He doesn't get forward well, panics on the ball too often and looks a bit of a liability at times. Whether not having a proper winger in front of him is not helping could be an issue though.

Second half we fell apart. I said at the time when Grant plays bad we do and that summed it up perfectly because he was awful. Usually Grant looks so comfortable in possession but he didn't second half at all. When we went 4-4-2 Pereira came alive for a few minutes and then was subbed but it really didn't make a difference. Cecilia with a touch of fortune could have nicked an equaliser but it would have been undeserved as we rarely played any form of football deserving of a result.

It was a bad day at the office as we rarely tried to do the right things but a recall for Amoros would help a lot in my opinion with his energy and intent on moving the ball quick as well as holding the shape better. Go from there and we can only get better. Long way to go for this side yet and we will improve and be more consistent.
    Great, thoughtful summary.
    Thanks

Administrator Admin team
    I'd agree with most of that TF, especially about Purkiss currently. I lost count of the times he got beaten down to the byline at Peterborough too, we could have been at least 4-1 down because of that before they actually scored their 2nd. But it isn't just him, our defence as a whole seems to have gone backwards, considering we have started to concede on a regular basis, & haven't kept a clean sheet since 16/08 in the league.

Hope we can sort that out tonight!

We allowed them to get too many crosses in to the box, it was inevitable they were going to score at least once from a cross especially as Alnwick was not confident in collecting anything put in to the box.

11. Advert