Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

donate nowOVF needs you! Our server costs are increasing and advert revenue decreasing. If you like this website and can help spare a donation please click here now

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Firstly I have to say I thought that that game was a great advert for lower league football. Two teams trying to win a game and not your typical home versus away performance. We started slow as we always do but Jones took his goal well. Their response was down to some very poor defending and Grant never quite seemed 100% to me throughout and his lack of closing down (or doing it too late) certainly contributed towards the goal.

After that we started to improve and in the second half we threw everything at them. Cicilia came on to replace the sub standard Paterson and it began to make a difference. Thought we were unlucky to concede again as it was against the general run of play even if Posh had created a few chances. The equaliser was no less than what we deserved and credit to the subs who all played their part.

Main positives were our style of play, intent, work rate and never say die atttitude. Negatives. Paterson struggled to get in the game when the service was poor, Tavares meandered a little too much in midfield at half pace, Foley got the ball loads but rarely delivered anything with it and the defensive unit should perhaps have done better with both goals.

Very impressed with us though and with a little more experience under our belts we could be a very good side this year.

2. Poster thanked by

3. Advert

Quote Originally Posted by Tenement Funster View Post
    Firstly I have to say I thought that that game was a great advert for lower league football. Two teams trying to win a game and not your typical home versus away performance. We started slow as we always do but Jones took his goal well. Their response was down to some very poor defending and Grant never quite seemed 100% to me throughout and his lack of closing down (or doing it too late) certainly contributed towards the goal.

After that we started to improve and in the second half we threw everything at them. Cicilia came on to replace the sub standard Paterson and it began to make a difference. Thought we were unlucky to concede again as it was against the general run of play even if Posh had created a few chances. The equaliser was no less than what we deserved and credit to the subs who all played their part.

Main positives were our style of play, intent, work rate and never say die atttitude. Negatives. Paterson struggled to get in the game when the service was poor, Tavares meandered a little too much in midfield at half pace, Foley got the ball loads but rarely delivered anything with it and the defensive unit should perhaps have done better with both goals.

Very impressed with us though and with a little more experience under our belts we could be a very good side this year.
    Well summed up sir!

I also mostly agree with Tenement Funster's summary. In the second half Tavares and Foley improved their game and did not give it away as much as they did in the first half. I am sure the manager raised that with them during the break. I think Grant played reasonably well but he lost Moncur for the first by ball watching and chasing someone he was never going to catch. This lapse in concentration was costly, but we also have to recognise that Moncur is a quality player who can elude his markers well as his goal scoring record shows.

I thought Jerome Thomas was a real threat, and so did Grant McCann because he took his right back off, probably fearful that he would end up with a red card for the amount of fouls he was committing.
    No one seems to have mentioned Kjelle Knops. He does not look spectacular and some people have said he looks a little exposed at left back. He had quite a lot of the ball and I can remember only one pass not finding his man. At this level to have a full back with that level of passing accuracy is rare indeed. The ability of our back four to find their men is a major plus. Once our midfielders improved their ball retention we upped our game.
    I also thought that Cicilia looked decent when he came on. He clearly needs to work on the physical aspect of football in England and dish out some of the physical stuff to opposing defenders. I think he has potential, I would certainly not write him off yet, but there is work to be done with him.
    Alex Jones is a real livewire, I like his game and finishing very much. Considering his lack of experience this is a terrific start by him.

6. Poster thanked by

7. Advert