onevalefan.co.ukonevalefan.co.uk
Close
Login to Your Account
onevalefan - Powered by vBulletin

donate nowOVF needs you! Our server costs are increasing and advert revenue decreasing. If you like this website and can help spare a donation please click here now

Hot Topics
Latest Posts Loading...

Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast
    Banned

A 2nd referendum

Probably a hypothetical question but if there was to be a 2nd referendum would you change the way you voted. I voted Brexit but feel conned and would certainly vote remain if there was a re run.

What would you vote in a 2nd referendum? Would you change your mind after what you know now?

2. Advert

I would do the same I did 10 days ago. I know now what I knew then (other than I didn't see what was going to happen with Johnson & Gove).

Why should there be a second referendum? If we have another one and the verdict is overturned do we then have a third referendum? Democracy decreed the result, the losers should get over it!

Administrator Admin team
    In a shed just behind OVF towers waiting for my ration book
    I think a second one would create a constitutional and political nightmare.

6. Poster thanked by

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Why should there be a second referendum? If we have another one and the verdict is overturned do we then have a third referendum? Democracy decreed the result, the losers should get over it!
    Phil, sense the word hypothetical. Also, if true democracy, the will of the people has shifted. I think if there was a vote today the answer would be remain.

Also, I voted Brexit, I picked the winner, but feel like a loser. DO you think Brexit would win if the referendum was run again tomorrow?

8. Poster thanked by

Administrator Admin team
    There is no need for a 2nd referendum, it can all be sorted out in parliament, whether by another general election or not. I cannot see any political party risking another referendum, all they do is provide a black or white result, all difficult decisions are grey and best decided in parliament by MPs, whether you think MPs represent you is for you to decide.

At the end of the day do we have a rerun of the 2015 general election where FPTP constituencies were only won by 3.8 % or less? The referendum was won fair and square by leave and to overturn that referendum would cost both Labour and Conservatives and SNP. These MP's are likely to vote against the referendum decision but that means that they will be against the electorate vote which means that would pt their own jobs in jeopardy in 2020.

If the MP's in Parliament do not respect the democratic position of the voters then it contradicts what they purport to stand for and should resign with immediate effect.

For once I agree with Corbyn's stance. He is respecting the vote of those whom voted him in.

More from Prof Dougan on the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dosmKwrAbI

Why didn't the BBC/ITV have Dougan and his counterpart on the Leave side in the broadcast debates - blokes who actually know what they're talking about - instead of a bunch of egotistical politicians mouthing slogans and assorted crap?

12. Poster thanked by

Administrator Admin team
    Quote Originally Posted by whotobeakiller View Post
    At the end of the day do we have a rerun of the 2015 general election where FPTP constituencies were only won by 3.8 % or less? The referendum was won fair and square by leave and to overturn that referendum would cost both Labour and Conservatives and SNP. These MP's are likely to vote against the referendum decision but that means that they will be against the electorate vote which means that would pt their own jobs in jeopardy in 2020.

If the MP's in Parliament do not respect the democratic position of the voters then it contradicts what they purport to stand for and should resign with immediate effect.

For once I agree with Corbyn's stance. He is respecting the vote of those whom voted him in.
    But if it was overturned in parliament it would have to be by a mixture of parties, they would also have to explain why, and then call a general election.

14. Advert