So this is it, the most important game for the club in some years as Vale travel to Fleetwood. Here is our brief guide…
The two sides
- Manager: Michael Brown
- Last match: 1-0 vs Walsall
- Top scorer: Alex Jones (10)
- Manager: Uwe Rosler
- Last match: 3-2 vs Gillingham
- Top scorer: David Ball (14)
30th April 2017
“We’re going to go away, work hard, battle and know that we have to depend on other results too. But, going there – I think we can win. We will be nervous but I think it will be one of them where whoever wants it more, they will come out on top…”
“It was still a bit quiet [after the dramatic win at Walsall] even afterwards they weren’t celebrating. They started preparing straight away with massages etc. Don’t get me wrong they enjoyed it. It was a good place to be, but the most important one now is on Sunday…”
Vale team news
Vale have Rigino Cicilia available again after his suspension was served. The Valiants could also have experienced defender Andre Bikey back in their squad. However, Anton Forrester, Tyler Walker, Callum Guy and Kjell Knops are all ruled out.
Last time we met…
The Vale beat Fleetwood 2-1 earlier in the season thanks to goals from Rigino Cicilia and Alex Jones.
Port Vale wins: 3
Port Vale losses: 3
Two former Valiants could be in the Fleetwood squad but neither are expected to face their former club.
Goalkeeper Chris Neal is no longer first-choice at the club while defender Joe Davis, a former Vale youth team graduate, is not in the starting eleven either.
Did you know…
- The first sides first met in September 2012
- Vale won on their last visit to Fleetwood with Sam Foley scoring the winner
- In fact, Vale are unbeaten in their last three games against Fleetwood
- Tom Pope and Louis Dodds (2 each) are Vale’s top scorers against Town