Here’s our brief preview of Port Vale’s eagerly awaited League Cup second round clash…
Date: Tuesday 25 August
Ticket prices: Sold-out for Vale fans
Manager: Rob Page
Last match: 3-0 vs Doncaster
Recent form: D-W-D-D-W
Manager: Tony Pulis
Last match: 2-3 vs Chelsea
Recent form: L-D-L
Enoch Andoh: only injury doubt for Vale
It could be two very contrasting line-ups on Tuesday. Rob Page is likely to keep faith with the eleven who comprehensively outplayed Doncaster but West Brom could make a host of changes. Vale’s only doubt would be whether Enoch Andoh can manage two starts in four days after recovering from a hamstring injury. West Brom could partner Brown Ideye and Rickie Lambert up front, while Joleon Lescott and Serge Gnabry could also play.
[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFqbluQ8dWY” width=”500″]
Manager Rob Page is looking forward to facing Tony Pulis.
Last time we met…
Jeff Minton: last Vale player to score against Albion
The two sides played out a 0-0 draw at the Hawthorns back in 2000. In the fixture at Vale Park, Jeff Minton’s penalty was not enough as the Baggies won 2-1.
Mark Grew: Played for both clubs
There have been a number of players to appear for both sides including:
- Goalkeeper Mark Grew
- Reliable right-back Alan Webb (right)
- Central defender Tony Butler
- Striker Ronnie Allen
- Striker Geoff Horsfield
- Striker Ally Brown
- Striker Nicky Cross
- Winger Lee Ashcroft
- Striker Colin West
[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPGi1PZBOpk” width=”500″]
Although many Vale fans will remember the 1954 FA Cup smi-final defeat to West Brom, Vale HAVE defeated the Baggies in a semi-final. The above clip from the OVF YouTube channel shows the win over West Brom that took Vale to Wembley in the Anglo-Italian cup competition.
[su_list]12 Port Vale wins
16 Port Vale losses
A few essential facts about our opponents to impress your mates with…
- Vale thumped West Brom 8-1 in 1929 and still ended up relegated at the end of the season.
- After their return to Division Two in 1989, Vale’s first win in the division for thirty years was a 2-1 win over West Brom in August 1989.
- Port Vale’s last win at the Hawthorns was a 1-0 victory back in 1992.
- However, Vale have failed to win in the last nine games against the Baggies – a run stretching back to 1995.