Here’s our brief preview of Port Vale’s eagerly awaited League Cup second round clash…
Date: Tuesday 25 August
Ticket prices: Sold-out for Vale fans
Manager: Rob Page
Last match: 3-0 vs Doncaster
Recent form: D-W-D-D-W
Manager: Tony Pulis
Last match: 2-3 vs Chelsea
Recent form: L-D-L
It could be two very contrasting line-ups on Tuesday. Rob Page is likely to keep faith with the eleven who comprehensively outplayed Doncaster but West Brom could make a host of changes. Vale’s only doubt would be whether Enoch Andoh can manage two starts in four days after recovering from a hamstring injury. West Brom could partner Brown Ideye and Rickie Lambert up front, while Joleon Lescott and Serge Gnabry could also play.
Manager Rob Page is looking forward to facing Tony Pulis.
Last time we met…
Jeff Minton: last Vale player to score against Albion
The two sides played out a 0-0 draw at the Hawthorns back in 2000. In the fixture at Vale Park, Jeff Minton’s penalty was not enough as the Baggies won 2-1.
There have been a number of players to appear for both sides including:
- Goalkeeper Mark Grew
- Reliable right-back Alan Webb
- Central defender Tony Butler
- Striker Ronnie Allen
- Striker Geoff Horsfield
- Striker Ally Brown
- Striker Nicky Cross
- Winger Lee Ashcroft
- Striker Colin West
Although many Vale fans will remember the 1954 FA Cup smi-final defeat to West Brom, Vale HAVE defeated the Baggies in a semi-final. The above clip from the OVF YouTube channel shows the win over West Brom that took Vale to Wembley in the Anglo-Italian cup competition.
- 12 Port Vale wins
- 16 Port Vale losses
- 8 draws
A few essential facts about our opponents to impress your mates with…
- Vale thumped West Brom 8-1 in 1929 and still ended up relegated at the end of the season.
- After their return to Division Two in 1989, Vale’s first win in the division for thirty years was a 2-1 win over West Brom in August 1989.
- Port Vale’s last win at the Hawthorns was a 1-0 victory back in 1992.
- However, Vale have failed to win in the last nine games against the Baggies – a run stretching back to 1995.