Here’s our brief preview of Port Vale’s match against Gillingham, our first home league game of the season…
Date: Saturday 15 August, 3pm
Ticket prices: Available here
Manager: Rob Page
Last match: 1-0 vs Burnley
Recent form: D-W
Manager: Justin Edinburgh
Last match: 2-1 vs Plymouth
Recent form: W-W
Remie Streete: injury doubt for Vale
Vale are hopeful that defender Remie Streete will be fit. If he fails to make it, Ryan Inniss will replace him. Upfront, Uche Ikpeazu, AJ Leitch-Smith and Enoch Andoh are all competing for starts.
Ben Williamson is set to play against Vale for the first time since leaving, but the participation of Doug Loft is in doubt. Loft is still recovering from injury and may not be risked.
[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5SVjD43xM” width=”500″]
“We’re looking to be nice and positive…” – Rob Page
Last time we met…
[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpcoxJF3-_0″ width=”500″]
The two sides met last season when Vale recorded a last-gasp victory thanks to a late strike by “super-sub” Colin Daniel. Striker Ben Williamson, who is now with Gillingham was also on the mark for the Valiants.
Doug Loft: a former Port Vale captain
This match could see two former Valiants playing for the opposition. Midfielder Doug Loft was a former club captain at Vale Park and a popular player of the year in 2012. Striker Ben Williamson turned down a contract offer from Vale to make the switch to Gillingham in the summer. Meanwhile, Vale loanee Ryan Inniss also spent a spell on loan with the visitors.
There are a number of other players to appear for both clubs:
- Striker Gary Mulligan (right) spent a spell on loan at Vale from Sheffield United before joining Gillingham on a permanent basis.
- Centre-half Gary West was signed for £70,000 from Gillingham as John Rudge made sure of promotion in 1989.
- Midfielder Mel Machin began his career at Vale before moving to Gillingham. He later moved into football management.
- Port Vale striking legend Basil Hayward (of the record-breaking 1953-54 side) spent five years as Gillingham manager.
Michael Brown: last-gasp goalscorer for Vale
- 16 Port Vale wins
- 15 Port Vale losses
- 16 draws
Essential facts about our opponents to impress your mates with…
- The Valiants have scored goals in the last three minutes in each of the last three meetings between the two sides. Vale’s goalscorers were Colin Daniel (90 mins), Michael Brown (90) and Jordan Hugill (87).
- There are usually goals in games between the two sides. It’s been nine matches since the last goalless draw.
- The Valiants have thumped Gillingham 4-2 on two occasions – in 1951 and 1963.
- Gillingham’s best victory was a 4-0 win back in 1965.