Here’s our brief preview of Port Vale’s home game against Doncaster Rovers…
Date: Saturday 22nd August, 3pm
Ticket prices: Available here
Manager: Rob Page
Last match: 2-2 vs Swindon
Recent form: D-W-D-D
Manager: Paul Dickov
Last match: 0-0 vs Southend
Recent form: D-D-D-D
The Valiants have been boosted by the return of Enoch Andoh from injury. The winger is expected to replace Sam Kelly in the starting eleven.
Manager Rob Page is happy with being unbeaten but is eyeing his first league win.
Last time we met…
There was an emotional first Port Vale goal for Byron Moore as Vale ran out 3-0 winners back in February.
Vale striker Uche Ikpeazu spent a period on loan with Rovers in the 2014-15 season. Former Port Vale striker Dany N’Guessan joined Doncaster at the start of the season but he has not featured yet as he regains full fitness.
There are a number of other players to appear for both clubs including:
- Midfielder Anthony Griffith
- Winger Steve Harper
- Defender David Raine
- Midfielder John Flowers
- Goalkeeper Ken Oxford
In recent years, the fixture has thrown up some unusual Vale goalscorers. Last season, Freddie Veseli and Carl Dickinson scored rare efforts while Dean Smith scored his only Vale goal in a 2004 league cup tie.
- 21 Port Vale wins
- 20 Port Vale losses
- 8 draws
Essential facts about our opponents to impress your mates with…
- Historically, there have been few draws between the two sides. But Rovers have drawn all their games this season while Vale have three draws as well. What chance another draw on Saturday?
- Vale completed the double over Rovers last season.
- However, the Valiants have lost two of the last three home games against Doncaster.
- Vale’s biggest victory was a 5-0 win in 1988.