Time at club: 1946-1955
The legendary captain of the “Iron Curtain” side, a former centre-forward, was an ever-present during 1949-1950 and 1952-1953 and formed a formidable defensive partnership with Roy Sproson.
He signed as a professional in 1946 and made his debut later that year.
After an eleven year spell with Vale, he moved to Crewe as player-coach in 1957.
The Port Vale pub is now named “Tommy Cheadle’s” in his honour.
More on Tommy Cheadle:
- Ultimate Port Vale XI: the centre-halves
- Clipping Heroes #12: Tommy Cheadle
- Tommy Cheadle
- Port Vale book available again
- The moment Vale's cup final dreams were dashed...
- Legends of our Past
- Lest we forget... our fallen Valiants
- Iron Curtain profiles
- Port Vale v Wrexham, 1954
- King of the Steele Curtain side
- 1950 to 1968
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: