Time at club: 1991-1995
The club’s first foreign signing proved to be a massive success after his move from Dutch football.
Van der Laan was signed by John Rudge for £80,000 in 1991. Originally a striker, he was serving a lengthy ban in his home country and welcomed the chance to move into the English game.
Rudge eventually converted van der Laan into a all-action, hard-tackling and goalscoring midfielder. Arguably his crowning acheivements as a Vale player were cup goals against Liverpool and Stoke City and appearances in the Autoglass Trophy final winning side and the 1993-94 promotion squad.
Van der Laan was sold to Derby County for £750,000 plus Lee Mills (who Rudge then developed into a £1m sale) in 1995.
After retiring as a player he set up a football academy and a coaching career.
More on Robin van der Laan:
- Ultimate Port Vale XI: central midfield
- Clipping Heroes #13: Vale Cover Stars
- Robin van der Laan
- Video vault: Liverpool 2-2 Port Vale, 1991
- Former Valiants: Pilkington released
- Video vault: vintage action and the joy of photoshoots
- Video Vault: Port Vale 4-2 Rotherham Utd, 1992
- Video Vault: Vale score two stunners at Brentford
- Video vault: Stoke 0-1 Port Vale
- When OVF chatted with Robin van der Laan
- Kitman confessions: Getting my own back on prankster Swanny
- Liverpool 2-2 Port Vale, 1992
- Van der Laan: I had my best time at Vale Park
- Cult Hero 08: Robin van der Laan
Hundreds of records of Port Vale players | Back to database homepage
Or search our database using the form below: