Port Vale FC have issued an official statement regarding the policing costs of the club’s games.
It follows coverage of a dispute between the club and the police in the Sentinel newspaper and a statement by North Staffordshire Police regarding the club’s position.
The club have released a video statement from chairman Norman Smurthwaite containing their response and it can be viewed above.
Vale argue that:
- The club does not want to see any “emotional reaction” towards the police by fans
- The club contests the accuracy of the police statement
- The change of category for the Doncaster game was not justified by the police intelligence gathered
- There is confusion over where the club and the police’s responsibilities lie
- The club make no apologies for challenging the police and the “whole process of policing at Port Vale”