The chairman of Port Vale and Peterborough have denied that Vale striker Tom Pope is set to move to the Championship side.
Pope, who has scored 27 goals in 33 games this season is naturally attracting attention, especially as he is yet to agree an extension to his contract that expires in the summer.
Peterborough are set to allow George Boyd to leave for Crystal Palace and hope to strengthen their squad with the proceeds of the expected sale.
The Peterborough Telegraph speculated that Pope had been “strongly linked” with a £50,000 move but that has been denied by both club chairman.
Vale chairman Paul Wildes told the Sentinel that : “There is no truth in speculation that Tom Pope is going to Peterborough, nothing at all. He is not having a medical there or anywhere else for that matter. He will still be here with Vale.”
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony has also poured cold water on any talk of Pope moving to London Road. He tweeted: “[Pope will not be joining] as we have not enquired about him at all.”
Highest goalscorers in a season
- 41 – Wilf Kirkham 1926-27 (38 in league)
- 37 – Andy Jones 1986-87 (31 in league)
- 35 – Wilf Kirkham 1925-26 (35 in league)
- 33 – Wilf Kirkham 1924-25 (26 in league)
- 30 – Jack Roberts 1935-36 (28 in league)
- 27 – Stephen McPhee 2003-2004 (25 in league)
- 27 – Tom Pope 2012-2013 (24 in league)