In this picture series, we take a look at how certain sections of the Vale Park ground have developed over the years. This time it’s the turn of the Railway Stand, one of the most popular areas of the stadium…
Covered terrace – the original design:
The original plan for the Railway stand was to have been a large covered area of terracing as the plans below show.
However, when Vale Park opened in 1950, lack of finances had seen many cost-cutting measures. Even the artists impressions from 1950 show an uncovered Railway side:
1955 – a new stand takes shape
This dramatic image shows workmen completing the ironwork for the Railway Stand. The work took place in 1955, just months after Port Vale’s epic Iron Curtain season had seen the side reach the FA Cup semi-finals.
The stand was now split into two sections – the upper section containing wooden seats and the lower section containing terracing. This image shows the view from the Railway stand seats looking down to the terracing of the Railway Paddock.
1970s and 1980s – the Railway in action…
Two photos taken pre-game show a sparsely populated Railway stand.
1990s – seating is introduced
The 1990’s saw the end of the Railway Paddock terracing as the Taylor Report reforms came into effect.
Today’s Railway stand
The rear of the stand shows the large bank it is built upon.
The Railway stand in 2016 – the original white seats that spelt out “PVFC” are now black.